Question Socket broken pin wire fix.

Nov 7, 2022
Hi there, i have a broken pin on my socket which is ddr0_dq and it bricks some RAM slots. Luckily i could fix it inserting a piece of wire into the hole and bending it to the correct position. The problem is that piece of wire is made of iron or i think so, it is the same wire thats is used to tie up brand new cables in a package and stuff... it is covered by a plastic, usually black. I hope you know what i mean.

So the question is : should i replace the iron for copper? Do magnetic properties of the iron harm other pins or socket? My RAM is 1.2v @ 2133 and works great but will that be the case after a RAM upgrade? Will the iron get rusty in any way? Can even oxygen get in there? Note that the wire is a bit fatter than the actual pins, so even if it has worse conductivity, there is more amount of it. And iron wont burn out either. So should i leave it?

Last edited:
If you try this, or anything like this, sure, it COULD work out, temporarily, but the problem is that it won't be soldered down on the inside where it makes contact with the traces and will degrade, especially since it's going to oxidize due to not being nickel and gold plated. That won't take all that long. The problem is that if that piece moves, at all, at any point, you are going to 100% likely either fry something if that wire moves and touches another pin or the wrong part of the CPU, or it's going to stop working and you'll be right back where you were before.

The only acceptable solution here is to replace the motherboard IF you value the rest of the hardware in the build. If you don't, then by all means, do whatever you want.

Nov 7, 2022
Yeah, i tried buying new mobo for cheap price, but unfortunately i had to solder a ground point near the Super I/O chip and i messed it up and now the chip is missing one pad and two legs and obviously, a brand new motherboard is a piece of trash now. Honestly im fed up of all this mess so i made the first board work that way. You mentioned degradation, but with also with copper wire? Maybe should i put a piece of needle then? It surely is plated with something so might resist, and i dont think the piece of metal will move at all, I could barely insert it in there, same with a needle but a needle is much harder to bend properly so i gave up on it.