Socket lga11550 vs lga2011?

pigsinspace72

Reputable
Feb 18, 2014
We can all agree upon that the intel i7-4770k is a better performing cpu (for gaming) than the i7-4820k. But in terms of the ability to update in the future (more memory, better cpu's), which one will be better? Especially considering the the future broadwell?

Solution

Go for a Z97 (OC and SLI) or a H97 (no OC or SLI) board; They use the LGA1150 socket and will be 100% compatible with the upcoming Broadwell CPUs (as...
Intel is going to the 2011-3 so the present 2011 motherboards are going to be obsolete.

Here's the approximate timetable:

June 2014 early, Devil's Canyon Haswell K series, able to go to 5GHz

September, Haswell E coming out on 2011-3 package, can have up to 8 cores

Next year, K series Broadwell, may or may not be much faster than the Haswell. I wouldn't hold my breath. It seems the low power Broadwells are coming out Q4 of 2014, but the desktop PC version, next year.

pigsinspace72

Reputable
Feb 18, 2014

Ok, so what socket motherboard should I get then, or are all motherboards will become obsolete soon?

Go for a Z97 (OC and SLI) or a H97 (no OC or SLI) board; They use the LGA1150 socket and will be 100% compatible with the upcoming Broadwell CPUs (as well as the current Haswell CPUs and the Haswell refresh CPUs).

Solution

pigsinspace72

Reputable
Feb 18, 2014

Then therefore the intel i7-4770k cpu is the way to go then :D

For gaming, the most important thing is the GPU speed. Second is the processor core speed. As of now only like two games can use more than four cores. For the next several years I think a Devil's Canyon Haswell, I7-4790K will be king, As fast as anything else with its 5GHz clock speed and its RAM and PCI-E 3.0 plenty fast.

So I would recommend one of the new Z97 motherboards. Your best value is the ASUS Z97 Ranger. But if you want the absolutely best overclocking, step up a bit to the ASUS Z97 Hero, it has a more solid power supply for the CPU.

pigsinspace72

Reputable
Feb 18, 2014

So the Devil's Canyon Haswell, I7-4790K will be supported by the new z97 motherboards?

I believe it is coming out June 2nd or so. Yes, get a Z97 motherboard and I7-4790K processor and you are good to go. Be sure to get a high quality overclocking board and a good CPU cooler, like the Noctua NH-C14, NH-D14, NH-D15, etc.

The H100i is pretty much equal to the HN-D14 when it comes to performance. The problem might be your case (high-end air coolers are huge).

That board looks nice, it also has a good power design making it pretty good for overclocking.

How many video cards do you want to use? Two is the optimum. More than that and you can get 10% or even slower performance than two. Best to get two state of the art boards, like the Sapphire Vapor-X R9 290X or a couple 780TI.

With just two video boards the Hero would be just fine. I don't understand why you want the expense of the ASUS WS motherboard. It has a PLEX chip for the extra PCI-E ports but it only really helps when you have three or four video cards which is pretty wasteful for gaming.

It's a long story, but as I said, the PLEX will actually slow things down until you have three or more boards so you don't want the WS board. If you want a nice, feature laden board, go with the ASUS Z97 DELUX.

pigsinspace72

Reputable
Feb 18, 2014

Thanks for the tips