Socket P VS. socket 478

PC_GI

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
how much smaller is a Socket P compaired to a standard 478 socket. The Socket P is a mobile socket** I need a water block that will fit a Socket P (479)

The sockets are physically identical in dimensions and I believe that a Socket 478 processor will actually fit in a Socket P socket (although it is not electrically compatible and will not run.) One word of caution though- just because the sockets are identical doesn't mean the heatsink bolt holes will be identically-spaced. I don't even know if the bolt holes are spaced the same on different Socket P motherboards as most are highly proprietary laptop motherboards. I would measure your motherboard's heatsink bolt holes very carefully and look to see if a Socket 478 water block will fit.

PC_GI

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
Yea, i am adding a liquid cooling system to my G71g-x1 laptop. Im going to cool the 9800m GS GPU and the T9400 CPU, as well as the north bridge. Im trying to overclock my laptop to make it the fastest in its class... ha ha. naaa, i just like to take things apart. But Thanks for the advice. I am going to use 478 server water blocks for the low form factor and they have adjustable clamps... we will see. I figure it will be a little trial and error. wish me luck!

g3force

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009

Good luck! I hope you post pics of the final product, it should be VERY interesting :) .

kevinrocksman

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
lol asus obviously wanted us to liquid cool laptops, everyones doing it.
Im working on water cooling my G60vx. Turning out good so far

rjhickey7

Prominent
Sep 5, 2017

so did you get it to work? I have a G51VX that I still use and want to do the same. thx