Socket rPGA 989 compatibility

FPSUsername

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014
Hello there,

I'm confused. I want to upgrade my i3-350M to an i5 processor (I've in mind the i5-560M which is only 35 euro), but I've read this on wikipedia:
(there are Socket G/rPGA 989 sockets that can take Socket G1/rPGA 988A or Socket G2/rPGA 988B packaged processors)

Now is my question, will mine do that too?
I have an Acer aspire 5741

I've read somewhere else that somebody used a 2nd gen i5 in a 1st gen rPGA 989 socket and it didn't boot (Because the pins are in a different place, but it fits).

Please don't post that it isn't worth the time to upgrade that little and that is wasting of money. I will buy a new laptop in the summer of 2015 with an i7, but a cheap upgrade will last a bit longer than my i3-350M.

So my question is: will my cpu socket allow a 2nd gen mobile processor?

(here is a screenshot of CPUz)
IBf8lo9.png

Solution

I thought it was clear. In your OP you said
I've in mind the i5-560M

That is also a socket G1, same as your current i3. (I fixed the broken links in my first reply).

However, if you ask about socket G1/Socket G2 compatibility, the answer is clearly NO.

http://www.cpu-world.com/Sockets/Socket%20G2%20(rPGA988B).html
Sockets G1 and G2 have the same number of pin holes, but they are not compatible with each other due to different position of one...

FPSUsername

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014

Sorry if it isn't clear. I want to upgrade my cpu, but if the socket is compatible with G1 and G2 processors, it would be better to get a G2 processor instead of a G1. But the question is, is my cpu socket compatible with G2 processors or can it only take G1 processors?

I thought it was clear. In your OP you said
I've in mind the i5-560M

That is also a socket G1, same as your current i3. (I fixed the broken links in my first reply).

However, if you ask about socket G1/Socket G2 compatibility, the answer is clearly NO.

http://www.cpu-world.com/Sockets/Socket%20G2%20(rPGA988B).html
Sockets G1 and G2 have the same number of pin holes, but they are not compatible with each other due to different position of one pin hole.

Solution