Question Socket temp is way too high

NigateloJones

Reputable
Aug 26, 2019
i m running a fx 8320 with 4.2 ghz on 1.3625 mv on asrock 970 pro3 r 2.0(4+1 power phase)
i recently bought and aio watercooler it s the coolermaster masterliquid ml240 rgb.
so anyway the problem is that the cpu itself is not going past 50 degrees in intelburntest on high level but somehow my socket temp goes up to 72 73 all the time and that s when my clock goes from 4.2 to 1.4.
the vcore goes low aswell from 1.3625 to 0.87 or something like that .
so my only question is if i need to take care of some other voltages in the bios or the mobo it s just not what i need

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Stop. It's an FX. Throw out Any thoughts of reading an actual temp. It doesn't exist because there's literally No thermal reader in the cpu, no way to judge temps because there's nothing to read.

The ONLY way to get a 'temp' (if you want to call it that) is by the use of AMD Overdrive Thermal Margin, which is Not a temp, but a representation of thermal headroom.

Thermal margins are an algorithm of loads, voltages, cores used and other stuff, and are read descending, not ascending. A TM of 40's means plenty of headroom, 20's is a decent load, 10's is a heavy load and single digits is thermally close to the actual limit of Zero. Any negative numbers being the cpu is cooking and well into throttle temps, expect immediate shutdowns.

The number itself is Not important, there's zero difference between 42 and 48, you aren't 6° different, it's what that number represents that's important. Headroom. Those numbers will constantly change depending on use, CSGO might hit 20's because of the uber high use in 2 cores and representative boost voltages, but Battlefield might hit low 30's because of all 8 cores used, loads spread and lower per core voltages.

Side note, socket temps on average will run @ 10°C-15°C hotter than actual cpu core temps and the tjmax for All the FX cpus is 62°C, as read by engineers at AMD using purpose built engineering samples.

So if the cpu is constantly running lower TM's than teens, your cooling is not sufficient for the boost, if it's always in the 20's or higher, the cooling Is sufficient, could probably increase any OC slightly.

TRENDING THREADS