[SOLVED] Soda spill on PC tower.

Jan 19, 2019
Hello I had accidentally knocked about a quarted of a bottle of soda into the top of my tower where there is an opening for my fan. I immediately disconnected from the power outlet and tipped the case to the left side pannel away from motherboard and psu. Then opened it and cleaned it with alcohol and cotton swabs. Majority of it was on the motherboard. I think a tiny got into the cpu socket as there was some residue on the clamps. Maybe one or 2 drops got onto the gpu. Nothing got into the ram inserts or touch the ram itself. Didnt go inside the psu because fan is facing downwards toward the ground.

After a thorough clean which consisted of cleaning every single component with alcohol and cotton swabs, cleaning out the cotton that gets stuck as well as vaccuming out the whole mobo of any liquids, and Wiping any residue off my ram and gpu. I reassemble and try to start the pc. All I hear is a single click sound and motherboard lights up once, no cpu fan or case fan working.

Fast forward a few days, i buy a new psu and hook it up to see if it was the problem. Same problem occurs, except theres no click just a single flash. At this point i believe its the motherboard.

Fast forward today, i ordered a new mobo, hooked my old psu with it and the remaining components the the cpu fans work as well as the case fans. HDD also make it usual sound on startup. However there is no signal on my display from my gpu. Motherboard also stays lit. However it only stayed lit for like 45 seconds. I did notice that removing the cpu fan and checking the cpu, it was extremely hot. I couldn't even touch it. And gpu fans spin for like 5 seconds and stop. I had read somewhere that it does that and its normal, because the fan will turn on again if it starts to get hot. At this point i believe the mobo and psu is the culprit, so i hook up my new psu with the mobo, but same result.

In short after replacing both mobo and psu after soda damage, the system powers on for less than a minute and the gpu gives no signal to the display. It doesn't have vga or hdmi on mobo, so gpu is my only display. I haved checked if the hdmi cables were fine incase it was just my monitor fault, reseated ram, and triple checked if all cables were in right locations and plugged securely, removed cmos and put it back. Tried breadboarding as well. Even set it up on my mobo case incase theres a short. And sadly im unable to test it each individual part with another set up.

In my conclusion i think the cpu is dead/fried by my old mobo. Then again im unsure if any other parts got damaged by the old mobo because fans work on cpu, gpu, and psu obviously work. Ram i believe should be fine.

PC specs:
MSI B360 A PRO (new/current)
Ballistix Sport LT 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DIMM 288-Pin
I3-8100k
Gigabyte 1050 2gb
Old psu: EVGA 450t, 80+ 450W
New psu: Insignia 550W

What are your thoughts on whats wrong with my pc? Thank you all for for your time!

Solution
unplug everything u dont need for sucesfull post:
so remove every pci-e card (even GPU), all sata/m.2 drives, usb stuffs
keep connected just mobo, cpu and cpu fan, plug monitor to mainboard
use only 1 stick of RAM and try other stick later
if it fails to POST, then id guess CPU could be fry

first bios startup can take some time to initialize new hardware, so make sure u give your system enough time to initialize
unplug everything u dont need for sucesfull post:
so remove every pci-e card (even GPU), all sata/m.2 drives, usb stuffs
keep connected just mobo, cpu and cpu fan, plug monitor to mainboard
use only 1 stick of RAM and try other stick later
if it fails to POST, then id guess CPU could be fry

first bios startup can take some time to initialize new hardware, so make sure u give your system enough time to initialize

Solution
Jan 19, 2019
I don't know though. I have the 24 pin from psu securely tight as well as the 8 pin cpu connector. Stick of 4gb ram in first slot secured. Cpu and cpu fan is installed, gpu plugged in, no signal from it still.

EDIT: Removed the cpu fan off the cpu, it is extremely hot. I think due to the fan not making physical contact to the heat sink. And unfortunately i dont have anymore thermal paste. I guess that is the reason my pc shuts off less than a minute. Im still unsure though if the cpu is fried. But is that the same case for not showing a signal on my display through my gpu?

Jan 19, 2019
Gpu doesn't give no display in any slot. I've tried multiple times starting the pc without a heatsink(About 10 minutes with on computer with no heatsink when i was testing to see if i get no display). Its extremely hot. And i think I've toasted the cpu. If i recall correctly i smelled the cpu socket with the old motherboard, it had slightly faint burnt smell, like really really faint smell. However there is no burn marks on the cpu. And i think I've been using my pc for about 6 months with one of the legs loose(that holds the cpu fan) of the fan. Maybe the soda spill just finally made the cpu give up.

Cal175

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
Can’t offer any help I’m sorry, but...

I once spilled a full pint of cider in through the top vent of my computer case.
Switched off for a split second - restarted itself and continued to work for 6 years albeit a bit sticky

Never done that again

Jan 19, 2019
New cpu, and some more of the current ram coming tomorrow, as well as some thermal paste and dp to hdmi cable. Will test it again after adding/replacing ram, cpu, and installing the cpu fan. Will let you guys know the end result. Thanks Eve everyone for your advice!

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah.............. good luck with that one.

Jan 19, 2019
Well reapplied thermal paste to my heaksink, added 2 more 4gb ram sticks and got a new cpu. PC works fine now, im assuming the cpu was fried as well as the mobo because the bios showed me by ram which were all there. Again thank you for all for your help!