[SOLVED] Soft-cracks in-between the screen layers.

Shurryy

Honorable
May 2, 2014
View: https://imgur.com/c8klgdP

My screen has some soft-cracks in-between the layers of the outer and inner of the screen that I can't explain, seems like light is getting distorted. There's no physical damage to the screen itself. It looks as if someone pressed their tumb real hard against it and just smudged all over it, but I have always been VERY careful with my monitors and how I clean them. Cleaning does nothing here.

The monitor is a: BenQ 120hz LED 24" Monitor, XL2420-T
I've had for about 7 years now. I live in an area where temperatures fluctuate a lot between 0 to 30 degrees that are outside of my control to do anything about, and when me and some friends discussed this we thought that might be the issue. The cracks started appearing about 5 months ago though.

Has anyone ran into this problem?
In my 20+ years of gaming between 4 monitors this is the first time I have encountered this. The Monitor functions just fine, aside from the obvious.
I am planning to buy a new one regardless, but understanding is nice.

Solution
Older monitors used some experimental adhesive compound between the lcd layer and the protective clear front. Over the years these may degrade over time from uv light or just wear and tear. However I've never seen it this extreme before, but then I've heard of accelerated degradation especially in humid environments. It's a good thing you are planning to replace one because looking at that all day would bug the daylights out of me. Good luck!

Quarkzquarkz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
Older monitors used some experimental adhesive compound between the lcd layer and the protective clear front. Over the years these may degrade over time from uv light or just wear and tear. However I've never seen it this extreme before, but then I've heard of accelerated degradation especially in humid environments. It's a good thing you are planning to replace one because looking at that all day would bug the daylights out of me. Good luck!

Solution

Shurryy

Honorable
May 2, 2014
Figured it could be something like that. I would be lying if I said it WASN'T bothering the daylights out of me, but now comes the endless agonizing over too much choice.