Softbank Buys ARM Holdings For $32 Billion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jagwired

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2015
I didn't realize Sprint was owned by a Japanese company. It's amazing how many US companies are now owned overseas. I know the concept of an American company is nebulous. My Ford for example was built in Canada. IBM is headquartered in the US, but the majority of their workers are in other countries. Still, it seems there's been an uptick in tackovers of US companies in the last decade. It's a bit sad that American symbols like Anheuser-Busch and Jeep are now technically not US companies. (I know ARM is a British company.)

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Was it a hostile takeover?

I think the post-Brexit timing is no coincidence. The recent drop in the exchange rate probably made this deal feasible.

I wonder if there were any other bidders, and whether this will prompt some Chinese customers to look elsewhere. I wouldn't be surprised it Samsung is now having some regrets that they didn't bid/win.

If Softbank starts charging significantly more for its IP, or if it refuses to serve certain customers, then some of the customers may start looking elsewhere.
Any specific reason for that caveat? Otherwise, I figure it sorta goes without saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.