Question Software can't read optical CD/DVD drive unless I choose "Run as administrator" ?

Feb 16, 2023
Hey all,

My HP Z240 has a stock CD/DVD drive. For some reason, no software installed on the PC (latest Windows 11) is able to read the contents of the CD/DVD drive unless I run it as administrator. I've never come across this before, and no amount of poking around in device manager, regedit or disk manager seems to point to anywhere I can specify what permissions are needed to access the drive.

Wondering if anyone has any ideas? I've tried googling and followed the various tutorials on reinstalling drivers, removing Lower filters reg entries etc.

Would love to get this fixed!

P.S. antivirus is Windows Defender

K

Reactions: riley0
Feb 16, 2023
Probably over protective system Win11 has. Turn user account control to off.
That doesn't seem to have made any difference unfortunately. I should have probably said that I don't get any prompt to enter admin credentials - what happens is that whichever program I'm in (except File Explorer) can see that there is an E: drive, but can't read anything on the E drive. If I exit the program and then rerun it as administrator, it works.

Feb 16, 2023
Without CD inserted:
SeiJ8xs.png

With CD inserted:

qMNsQhy.png

Interestingly, Explorer can't eject the drive ("an error occurred") - so it looks like it too has some issues with permissions.

In Group Policy - I don't seem to have any specific settings for CD and DVD. The closest I can see is:
Lp0rluB.png

TRENDING THREADS