Software Claims to Render Unlimited 3D Details

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The only reason I am skeptical is because their demos suck. Everything looks animated. all demos are objects. all static for the mostpart. nothing higher than 480p resolution for pictures and videos. If they really had something to show off, they should do something impressive, like the hair demo nvidia does every time they release a new graphics card, or the face demos in the crysis ads.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
If those renders were real time I think he may be on to something, but if those renders were real time I would think he would have made that a bragging point. Looks impressive especially if he finds a way around the animation problems. (When a join moves the polygons can stretch, the method in this video would create/destroy dots as the joint moves.)

Based on Nvidia's quick response, I'd say they were the ones contacted about this. I wonder if ATi will the chance to gobble this up.

whatda45

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
Ofcourse the demo sucks. That's like taking the best illustrator in the world and telling him to make a movie with 20$ and then saying it's not as good as a Disney flick.
And also, he clearly states that he doesn't use voxels or ray-tracing.

The fact that NVidia made a comment like "Voxels don't work and his demo sucks" (para-phrasing) just makes me think HE'S ONTO SOMETHING.

That said, it's not that I'm not skeptical. He could be full of $#!7. Let's just see how it goes.

vigilantzhu

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Took me a while to fully understand the concept, but I could see where they are going, this is a very interesting idea, however it will take some time before it will become common.

But then, since it is a software renderer which would require no GPUs or even multi cores CPUs, I think we might see it mature sooner or not depending on the initial performance.

warlordsagan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
Things in RedAlert2 and Tiberium Sun were made out of Voxels if I remember correctly. I'm not sure what else has been made with Voxels.

Aleatoire

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
I'm loving the idea. Obviously it need a fair bit of work, but these things take time to develop and evolve. But as a concept its great.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
This is nothing new... They have used Fractal compression...

Just look up procedural rendering and the game "Infinity"

http://www.infinitythegame.com/

blashyrkh

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2007
This is old news TOM!!! I've read about this (seen the tube video) some months ago.
Very nice idea though! I wonder how they will implement real-time lighting effects and physics

mosu

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Because of the scarcity of technical details I would like to ask you guys to follow this article with more detailed hardware and software description.These videos (part 1 & 2) are great commercials but I think we need more if we want to understand how things work.It might be the right solution for upcoming 3D graphics on upcoming 3D screens and even we are still big children who play first and work later, I wonder what SolidWorks and AutoCAD should look like using this technology.If I am not wrong, all this could be a new approach to 3D graphics as a result of the recent enhancements in graphical processing power available to the simple user.

gncs91

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
brilliant... sounds great, but if that was their logo i am not surprised they are not getting any contracts ;)

azetec

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
Voxels are pretty much old tech if some of u remember old games like Delta Force 1&2 and old Comanche versions they were using this kind of technology but the graphics was not so good so the Voxels were abandoned.

bravura

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
There were also a discussion here about "Unlimited Detail"

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=557528&PageSize=25&WhichPage=1

I wonder why the developers don't give some talks and present their software at GDC for example (or did they?)

Also the statement "in about 16 months when Unlimited Detail comes out commercially" is now at least 4 months old. They don't seem to update the homepage and still there is no demo you can test on your own machine. How should we know they are saying the truth?

bravura

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Do they mention tessellation anywhere in the video? (google for tessellation and DX11, see images). After all tessellation adds all the extra details to triangle based graphics. It is not fair to compare to previous gen technology while current-gen (DX11) can add similar details without loosing all the features we already had.

MrHectorEric

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
I saw of 8 min of cartoony static objects. I would have preferred to see a 10 sec realistic scene with something moving and casting shadows.

leone20012

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
So I get it now ATI and Nvidia will go out of business, because all we need is a fucking virtual Memory Card that exists in the ram as a program and uses the CPU!
Sounds fucking awesome because that means I wont need a 1000watts for the current energy hogging game cards.
Thus less energy consumption means less burning of fossil fuels? no?
sick! This is as exciting to me as the new memristor! look that one up too

Status
Not open for further replies.