Question Software compatibility with evga g5 psu's?

WigitMigit

Prominent
May 8, 2019
I've heard the fan on evga's g5 lineup of psus is good but the curve applied is too extreme and makes it very loud. I was wondering if there is any software to make it quieter without killing performance?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
There;s no software control for (these) PSU fans.

I haven't heard widespread complaints of the fan being loud - but I have seen reports of high pitched (to the point of being distracting) coil whine.

While I haven't seen any full-blown reviews on most of the G5 lineup at this moment in time (just the 1000W), remember, these are not the quality SuperFlower platforms that the G2 & G3 were based on - but an FSP platform that's simply inferior vs the prior offerings (not bad, just not as good).

I haven't seen the G5's blowing the G3's out of the water in terms or prices and, all else being equal, I'd skip the G5 and look to a G3 or even a G2 if you can find them...

WigitMigit

Prominent
May 8, 2019
I suggest you go with the G3 series .
The G5 is loud when compared with Corsair, Seasonic and even the G3 series.
I got a g5 g50w on black friday for 60 bucks which beat out the prices on the competition by alot for a psu of its manner. Ive heard about thing with superflower and fsp but the main problem I would be worried about is the fan noise, from what I have heard the fan curve on the psu is quite extreme.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
That is the main initial downside, yes. It's an aggressive curve, ramping up from 0 to X in a short space of time - and with a bigger fan than it's 'predecessors'.

For $60, it's a solid PSU - but you're not going t ofind a software 'fix' for that fan curve.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
A gpu is a pc in miniature. Has its own processor, ram, VRM's etc. So there's something that software can change as there's programming at a software/firmware level to control things.

A psu does not. It's basically a power converter and thats all. Has no firmware, no processor, no ram. It has a series of components that when get hot increase power to the fan. You'd need to change those components, change the fan to get any changes in fan curve/speeds. A psu has nothing but outputs, has no inputs as none are needed, there's nothing to change that software could change.

The G5 is only a 'bad' unit when compared to the G2/3 series, or any of their direct competition like the Corsair RMx/RMi etc. Compared to a vast multitude of other, lesser psus, it's quite decent.

One thing even the best reviewers can't say for sure is volume. Yes it's a louder psu, when compared to others, at high loads. On a test bench, with a microphone pointed in its direction, in a low/no/deadened noise room. If your psu is appropriate for the pc, it shouldn't really be seeing loads all that high, and if it did, the noise output from cpu/gpu/intake/exhaust fans all at high rpm/loads is quite often far more audible and will drown out any potential noise from the psu.

I don't care how loud you can shout, if standing next to a jet engine the only distraction would be the movement of your lips. Capish?

Reactions: Barty1884

TRENDING THREADS