software compatibility with German version of Windows

If I buy a computer in Germany, with the German version of Windows XP
installed, will it be compatible with American software, such as Microsoft
Word, Quicken, Norton GoBack, Norton Ghost, and the like?
Thanks.

I can't comment on specific programs but on the whole yes. I've seen lots of screenshots of german machines with english programs (and thus 1/2 in german and 1/2 in english - that would really annoy me).

What you SHOULD do. But an computer with the english language XP and ORDER at the SAME time (else you cannot get the files - you can only buy them at the time you buy the computer) the german language pack. English can convert to any other language but not vice versa.

You'll have to force the shop to order the things in as they probably won't know what you are talking about.