[SOLVED] Software for cooler master mf120r rgb

markfresh

Reputable
Apr 14, 2019
Hi , i just got 4 of these fans, i have them powered all on separate sys fan headers, and also used a 4way splitter to connect to the rgb header on my msi x570 gmaing plus.
I tried master+ and it doesn't recognise them and tried msi mystic light and it doesnt recognise them either. What software can i use to control them thanks

Solution
First you need to understand what types of light display can be done with your plain RGB type of device. Each fan has mounted in its frame LED's of three colours - Red, Green and Blue. All the Red LED's are connected together, all the Greens together, all the Blues together. The JRGB header can turn on or off any one colour or some combination of two or three colours. Without any ability to change the brightness of any one colour, that makes a total of seven colours plus none (all off) possible. I believe some headers (but NOT all mobos) are capable of changing the brightness of each colour, too, so more shades are possible. But note that at any one moment the entire fan light system can only display ONE colour. That is the limit of...

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Those fans are supposed to be MSI Mystic Light compatible:

So I would ask for help on the MSI support forums and see if anyone else has had issues getting them to work with Mystic Light.

Last edited:

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Those fans are of the plain RGB type. Your mobo has two header of EACH of the two major types of systems, so you must plug them into the correct mobo header AND ensure they are turned correctly.

See your mobo manual p. 39 for the JRGB1 and ...2 headers you must use. Each of these has FOUR pins sticking up. Do NOT try to use the 3-pin headers labelled JRAINBOW1 and ...2 (p, 40).

Look closely at the headers and the manual diagrams. ONE pin on each header is marked as the +12 VDC pin. On the connector on the end of the lighting cable from each fan, there is likewise a mark for the hole for the 12 VDC pin. You MUST match those up!

Now, you say you have four such fans, but only two headers of that type are available. Thus you will need at least one RGB Splitter (NOT the same as a fan Splitter) that converts a single mobo plain RGB header into two or more outputs. Here's a set of two such two-output RGB Splitters

https://www.newegg.com/p/1W7-005X-0...cm_re=RGB_Splitter-_-9SIACJF8XR5029-_-Product

so you could attach two fans' lighting cables each to your two plain RGB headers. In using these, remember that you MUST match the 12 VDC pin and hole at each connection point.

markfresh

Reputable
Apr 14, 2019
Hi , my Mobo says to use the 4 pin rgb header, i have checked the manual to line up the 12v with the arrow, ( its also written on the board).
As i said in my post i am running a 4 way splitter ( it is rgb).https://www.pccasegear.com/products/42524/ek-rgb-4-way-splitter-cable
I have also tried just 1 fan plugged into the rgb header , it does the same thing , it just breathes and changes color.
When i go into mystic light and select jrgb ( the header its plugged into) and actually turn off mystic light in the software my fan rgb turns off, and when i move to on in the software it turns back on , but thats it , i cant change anything else.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
First you need to understand what types of light display can be done with your plain RGB type of device. Each fan has mounted in its frame LED's of three colours - Red, Green and Blue. All the Red LED's are connected together, all the Greens together, all the Blues together. The JRGB header can turn on or off any one colour or some combination of two or three colours. Without any ability to change the brightness of any one colour, that makes a total of seven colours plus none (all off) possible. I believe some headers (but NOT all mobos) are capable of changing the brightness of each colour, too, so more shades are possible. But note that at any one moment the entire fan light system can only display ONE colour. That is the limit of what a plain RGB system can do.

The other more advanced system called ADDR RGB is wired and controlled quite differently so that one lighting unit can display many different colours along its length. Thus more complex display like rainbows - either static or moving along the light strip - can be done. Mystic Light software can do that through the other JRAINBOW headers IF you have ARGB light devices, but you do not have those.

Reactions: DMAN999
Solution