[SOLVED] Software for generating hashes for file integrity checks?

sirhawkeye

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2014
So I'm looking for a program that can generate a hash on a file for the sake of integrity checking? Files will be RAW image files from digital cameras, which shouldn't matter as the actual format of the file I don't think should be of concern, but I want to find a way to quickly verify a file using a hash so I can tell (for example) if the file is corrupted (ie. hash changed perhaps). I don't necessarily need this for encryption, but just integrity checking.

I've heard that even a flipped bit in a file can lead to a different hash being generated, but a flipped bit could mean a corrupt image file that is unusable by image processing software.

Solution
So I'm looking for a program that can generate a hash on a file for the sake of integrity checking? Files will be RAW image files from digital cameras, which shouldn't matter as the actual format of the file I don't think should be of concern, but I want to find a way to quickly verify a file using a hash so I can tell (for example) if the file is corrupted (ie. hash changed perhaps). I don't necessarily need this for encryption, but just integrity checking.

I've heard that even a flipped bit in a file can lead to a different hash being generated, but a flipped bit could mean a corrupt image file that is unusable by image processing software.
7-zip can do CRC and SHA. If you install 7-zip with the menu extensions, you get...

kanewolf

Titan

7-zip can do CRC and SHA. If you install 7-zip with the menu extensions, you get the option to generate CRC values for a file. Use CRC64 rather than CRC32 for large files.
Here is the 7-zip man page -- https://sevenzip.osdn.jp/chm/cmdline/commands/hash.htm

Solution