software fsb adjustment not working

johnoh

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
I just picked up the $89 Fry's special of an athlon T-bred 1800+ and a k7s5a pro v5.0. I'm using the cheepoman bios without fastwrites (chb0120) to adjust the fsb to 150, so its running as an 2100+.

The board doesn't support booting beyond 150mhz but I understand its possible using software like speedfan or cpufsb. Problem is both those programs cause a freeze-up the second they try to change the fsb, no matter what you're starting and ending values are. For instance, if I boot at 100mhz and then use speedfan or cpufsb to change it to 133, it freezes. Both programs are correctly detecting the pll chip.

So to net it out this thing is great as long as I set the fsb in the bios. I can live with 150mhz but am still wanting to see if I can get software fsb changing to work. I do not want to make the hardware mods required to change vcore voltage and multiplier until later.

<i>Reason the only absolute. Irrationality the only enemy. </i>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Not sure it will make any difference but give SetFSB a try.

Get it at <A HREF="http://www.page.sannet.ne.jp/k-hazama/" target="_new">Rinya's Homepage</A>. (You don't need the Japanese fonts to download the files).

Make sure you get the version for the K7S5A (works with other SIS chipset mobos).

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b>

YoungBull

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2003
I just got the same MoBo CPU Combo from Fry's, the Athlon XP 1800+ and the ECS K7S5A Pro, and am having a problem getting the FSB to set itself correctly. I am using an up-to-date AMI Bios that was on the ECS website, but it didn't fix the problem. For som reason my FSB speed is only running at 66mhz! Needless to say, this is pissing me off. What is the cheepoman BIOS, how do I get it, and what do I do to get results similar to those you've experienced? Please help me out. Neither ECS or Fry's will tell me how to manually set the FSB and I haven't found a way to do it in the BIOS. Thanks.

johnoh

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
Youngbull - do a google search on cheepoman and read and you'll be all set. Be aware that every k7s5a is different and based on what I've read I may be lucky to have one that has no problems at 150mhz.

phsstpok - Thanks a lot! setfsb seems to work just fine. I can boot at any cpu freq setting and then adjust from there with no problems. Lol though - I lock up at 166mhz! Knew it was a stretch. I may have to try the vcore mod which seems easy enough. Still fine at 150mhz.

<i>Reason the only absolute. Irrationality the only enemy. </i>

YoungBull

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2003
Thanks for the heads up, Cheepoman works great. Got mine running as a 2100+ too and it fixed some problems I was having to boot!

YB

TRENDING THREADS