Question Software glitch or faulty GPU hardware?

Fastfishy2

Reputable
Apr 20, 2020
I have an RTX 2070 Super, Overclocked slightly (+75 core clock, Power limit set to 109%) although the OC used to be higher but OCCT threw a small amount of errors when I tested it so I dropped it down to current settings.
Clock holds at 1995 mhz during Port Royal.
I'm encountering a strange lighting glitch in the 3DMark port royal stress test, where at a certain point every time I get a strange flickering effect on a select few surfaces, as if the shadows are being moved backward suddenly and then forward again.
No other benchmarks do this, RT or otherwise, including running Control on ultra with DLSS disabled.
I also did some testing with OCCT's GPU tester, unable to find any errors there, and I did the VRAM test too which again showed no errors (was using 95% VRAM). I also ran OCCT's gpu test in the background of the Port Royal test to see if it would pick up any errors but again, it did not.
I guess I'm trying to figure out if this is a potential hardware issue or simply a driver issue? Is this in any way indicative of faulty hardware?

I'm going to go and try backdating my drivers now to see if it fixes the problem - in the meantime I've attached a video file clipped to the exact point on the benchmark so that you can see what is happening.
Thanks for any and all help you can give. VIDEO FOUND HERE (LTT Forums, unable to attach it here)

Fastfishy2

Reputable
Apr 20, 2020
undo the oc and test 3dmark port royal again
did that, it still happens after the first run, I've Even tried underclock. It only happens at that one single point on that one benchmark, iirc it doesn't happen when I test the DLSS version of that benchmark.

To test, I ran Control maxed out settings at 1080p with DLSS off to simulate max load on the GPU. even when I was going through sections where all the limiters were in action (power, voltage etc) on stock settings, there were absolutely no artifacts, no graphical glitches (aside from screen tearing cause it struggled to reach 60), no instability or crashing. It was effectively getting really close to maxing out, memory usage was very high, GPU core was maxed out. And yet absolutely no graphical issues. This also happened when I ran the Bright memory RTX benchmark, the frames were crud because I turned off DLSS and turned everything else right up, but as for stability it was perfect. So I'm not sure what to make of all this.

bmx045

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
I ran into the same issue just with port royal and nothing else. It doesn’t happen every run either. A friend of mine also noticed the issue. We both have rtx 3090’s and AMD 5950x CPU’s. I chalked it up to a driver issue. The crash reports seem like it’s possibly a dx12 issue. Gave me a sinking feeling in my stomach though the first time I saw it.

TRENDING THREADS