[SOLVED] Software Hanging due to Video card issue or Something else?

Feb 12, 2023
I have a GTX 1650, and I have a problem where if I try to open an mp4 file (with the pre-installed windows media player app), after some time the media player will just hang, although the audio is still playing, interacting with the buttons after that will crash the app. What's weird about it is that it only happens if the media player is unfocused, if I keep the window focused, it will not freeze. Also, if the program froze, the app seems to just give up completely, CPU and GPU usage drops to 0%, but Disk and Mem are intact.

It doesn't only happen with media playback, I have seen this with media encoding, which is OBS, but this one is pretty rare, it only happened twice but it's really quite annoying, the same principle applies, OBS froze, and any ongoing recording will corrupt. But this time, while the GPU usage drops to 0%, my CPU usage spiked to around 50% used by OBS, this is a really weird phenomenon for me, I've never seen this such issue, I've been searching on the internet, all I found was for the media playback issue, tried following one or two, doesn't solve my problem.

some apps like Games or Adobe apps are completely unaffected, I have tried to render and export a 2-hour-long video with no crashes or something like that (I'm using hardware acceleration for the premiere), For games, I don't even notice a difference, I mean stable FPS, doesn't crash... you get the point.

I have tried to reinstall the graphics driver, switching from the Creative driver to the gaming driver, but it doesn't make any difference. The thing is if it is a graphics card issue, should it like also affect everything else? and not just specifically media playback or encoding?

For additional info, I'm using Windows 11 Dev channel build 25211 (probably unrelated)
Here is the crash log that EventViewer gave when the windows media player crashed (https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/406063528819294228/1074263783440134235/Screenshot_3803.png)
Another log from EventViewer when I'm trying to use a different media player (Photos this case, https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/406063528819294228/1074263903481114684/image.png)
OBS Log from event viewer (https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/406063528819294228/1074265094164316201/image.png), OBS doesn't generate its own detailed crash report, weird...

Video of the media player crashing: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/406063528819294228/1074268148771061830/Untitled.mp4

Any help or additional troubleshooting tips would be much appreciated!

Solution
Alright, sorry for necroing, but i have finally found the solution to this weird problem.

If you apparently have a card that is dated enough, the latest nvidia driver is probably not for you.

My solution was:
Use DDU on safe mode to completely uninstall the display driver (make sure to let the update settings as normal)
Go back on windows with normal boot and just let it be, it will install a display driver version that would not have the issues

Just wanted to go back on this post to help people facing the same problem ig

If you have the same card model as i do, GTX 1650, you should give this a shot

AND DO NOT INSTALL GEFORCE EXPERIENCE, OR THE DRIVER WOULD AUTO-UPDATE AGAIN

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The issue, IMHO, would be possibly due to a corruption in your OS however you've stated that the OS is a developer's version meaning bugs and glitches are bound to happen and you report them to Microsoft so they're ironed out. Often times being in the Dev/Insider Program would entail you have a system that's serving as a guinea pig or rather you've got disposable resources in hand(time being one of them) to be able to operate an insider variant of the OS.

If you didn't sign up for the Insider Edition, where did you source the installer for your OS?

Feb 12, 2023
Hello!, thanks for commenting and giving me a humble opinion!

I did sign up for windows insider a while back (back then I wanted to try out windows 11 when it was insider only), and have been using the dev channel since with no issues, but I haven't updated my build for a while because I was just really lazy.

But just quite recently I got these weird issues that is starting to concern that my GPU is dying (i really hope not)

Feb 12, 2023
Alright, sorry for necroing, but i have finally found the solution to this weird problem.

If you apparently have a card that is dated enough, the latest nvidia driver is probably not for you.

My solution was:
Use DDU on safe mode to completely uninstall the display driver (make sure to let the update settings as normal)
Go back on windows with normal boot and just let it be, it will install a display driver version that would not have the issues

Just wanted to go back on this post to help people facing the same problem ig

If you have the same card model as i do, GTX 1650, you should give this a shot

AND DO NOT INSTALL GEFORCE EXPERIENCE, OR THE DRIVER WOULD AUTO-UPDATE AGAIN

Solution