[SOLVED] Software installations for domain accounts.

Apr 23, 2019
I have a question that might be a little hard to answer and maybe software specific but any info would be greatly appreciated. I have a number of Lab PCs running windows 10 Pro which I have added to an Active directory domain using a Synology NAS. These Domain users should have access to a range of software some of which requires licenses, I currently have a local admin account on each machine and my intention was to install all the software using that account and then ensure it works for each domain user. Is there any reason that would be a bad idea? Many thanks in advance.

Solution
Some applications won't allow multiple simultaneous use.
And obviously multiple people and systems in the same 'license'. That is very dependent on the specific application.

Each user should have their own home directory on the NAS.
Mapped drive letter from the client system.
Software gets installed to that User folder tree.

USAFRet

Titan
And obviously multiple people and systems in the same 'license'. That is very dependent on the specific application.

Solution
Aug 13, 2019

Thanks for your reply, so would it only be necessary for the software that has cross-user issues to install in the home folder on the NAS? these PCs have a massive amount of storage so seems counter-productive to have all the software installations taking up room on the NAS. But understand what you mean about some software being an issue.

USAFRet

Titan
Having all the software installed the same way eases maintenance issues.
Rather than - Some here on the NAS, some on the client PC.

And generally, applications don't take up that much space.
The files they produce does.

A single Powerpoint slide deck can take up more space than the whole powerpoint application.