Question Software RAID 5 Resuable after Seperate OS drive reformatted?

May 20, 2019
Best answers
Seperate drive with OS
RAID 5 setup already with loads of important data.
My windows doesn't seem to load, even in safe mode, so I think the image is corrupt...so I may need to reformat. If I do this, I would imagine this will not effect the raid array...I will just need to map it after I reformat my seperate windows drive correct? Any advice? I just don't want to lose my data on my raid drives!

popatim

Titan
Dec 2, 2009
Best answers
How did you do that if Windows doesn't boot?

I think you need to explain exactly whats going on from the beginning. It sounds like you had this working in another system and just transferred the drives to a new/upgraded one to me.

Reactions: Sgonzalez90
May 20, 2019
Best answers
How did you do that if Windows doesn't boot?

I think you need to explain exactly whats going on from the beginning. It sounds like you had this working in another system and just transferred the drives to a new/upgraded one to me.
No problem. Here's how I setup my RAID configuration (https://dls.ieiworld.com/IEIWeb/PDC_OBJ/PLM/OWFP000200/RAID_Setup_Windows10_UMN_v1.00.pdf). The boot drive isn't part of the RAID. I just have my OS on my C drive. There is no RAID hardware controller. The RAID Drive is volume F:. I've had this entire setup working for about 6 months now. Someway, somehow...the OS drive can't load the OS...

Now I'm wondering if I can reformat the OS drive and then still access the RAID5 with no issues.
Thoughts?

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
Best answers
The RAID backup you mean? I have most of it backed up on an external, but not the most recent....which I certainly need. I don't even know how to access the RAID in the current system state.
That's not a backup. That just a random collection of files you happened to copy to some other drive once in a while.

Will your current RAID 5 be usable in 100% condition after reaccomplishing it in the new OS? Dunno.

Please give us a little more info of your system, and how you got to this point.

May 20, 2019
Best answers
No problem. Here's how I setup my RAID configuration (https://dls.ieiworld.com/IEIWeb/PDC_OBJ/PLM/OWFP000200/RAID_Setup_Windows10_UMN_v1.00.pdf). The boot drive isn't part of the RAID. I just have my OS on my C drive. There is no RAID hardware controller. The RAID Drive is volume F:. I've had this entire setup working for about 6 months now. Someway, somehow...the OS drive can't load the OS...

Now I'm wondering if I can reformat the OS drive and then still access the RAID5 with no issues.
Thoughts?
Updated Link.

May 20, 2019
Best answers
That's not a backup. That just a random collection of files you happened to copy to some other drive once in a while.

Will your current RAID 5 be usable in 100% condition after reaccomplishing it in the new OS? Dunno.

Please give us a little more info of your system, and how you got to this point.
Please inform me on the additional information required.
I'm running windows 10.
Installed on my C drive (not part of my raid configuration). Solid state ssd.

My raid volume F drive was setup using the windows disk management software see here for that info (https://dls.ieiworld.com/IEIWeb/PDC_OBJ/PLM/OWFP000200/RAID_Setup_Windows10_UMN_v1.00.pdf)

May 20, 2019
Best answers
Please inform me on the additional information required.
I'm running windows 10.
Installed on my C drive (not part of my raid configuration). Solid state ssd.

My raid volume F drive was setup using the windows disk management software see here for that info (https://dls.ieiworld.com/IEIWeb/PDC_OBJ/PLM/OWFP000200/RAID_Setup_Windows10_UMN_v1.00.pdf)
I didn't install any new software. There was a windows up date a few days ago, but I can't seem to restore to the previous point or any other...I get error messages each time.

May 20, 2019
Best answers
Attempting to reset, it almost completed. I got an error...tried to run command prompt...and it says Not enough memory resources are available to process this command...
Shows directory

X:\windows\system32>
before the command line....this is a weird one.

May 20, 2019
Best answers
Got it to work. My SSD failed. Bought a new one, installed windows 10 and my RAID 5 config still works flawlessly. Thanks for the support.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS