Software RAID mirroring in win7

thunderbolt99

Honorable
Apr 17, 2013
i have two 1tb sea-gate barracuda drives set up as software raid 1 mirroring in windows 7. all is good and both drives boot up when selected.

question is , i just wanted to see what would happen if i actually disconnected the primary sata drive to mimic a real life dead hard drive. the computer boots up and i see the two choices i have as per the boot.ini file.

they are windows 7 and windows 7 secondary plextor. i chose the second one since i know the first is disconnected which i would in real life, and it fails to boot into windows?

Is this because the raid has been physically broken? shouldn't this work regardless,(when i re-connect the drive back it works)

weird?

any thoughts?

thanks guys.

popatim

Titan
Perhaps the drives are not numbered the way you think they are. With the drive disconnected, try booting up normally which is the way it would work on a real raid card; you'd just be notified that a drive has failed when you boot.

edit - yeah, as I think about this what you're describing is a dual boot setup which would need the primary HDD because its got the boot loader/record on it.