Question Software RAID

May 30, 2019
I want to use software RAID 1 to mirror data on 2 drives. I’ve done a considerable amount of research on hardware and software RAIDs and software will work for me.

What I haven’t been able to find is what happens to the RAID on the drives if I decide to format my boot drive and ‘start over?’ If the drives need to be setup again through the operating system, that will wipe the data during setup. If I’m correct, then I need hardware RAID instead of software RAID.

Thanks.

May 30, 2019
Thanks for such a quick reply. The video was a nice touch. My guess is that, if I leave the mirrors alone after reinstalling the operating system, things will be fine. But, if I break the mirrors to see the data on each and then attempt to 're-mirror' them, then the data would be lost.

You're been a real help ... thanks. One additional question: is there any way with RAID 1 to actually know that the mirroring is taking place? Since only 1 drive letter is assigned, how does the user actually know that drive "A" is actually being mirrored to drive "B"?