software restriction policy

anton

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2001

I know that under 2003 server there is a software
restriction policy setting for adding or removing file
types for the entire domain.

Is there a similar setting for 2000 server? Or an
alternate way of doing this? I need to add several file
types to the workstations but there are too many to walk
around and do it.

I use 2000 server w/ sp4 and XP PRO w/ sp1.

Thank you.

You can implement SRP on XP Pro computers in a W2K domain via machine policy by
managing the extra available policies available from an XP Pro domain machine as
described in the link below. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307900

"Anton" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I know that under 2003 server there is a software
> restriction policy setting for adding or removing file
> types for the entire domain.
>
> Is there a similar setting for 2000 server? Or an
> alternate way of doing this? I need to add several file
> types to the workstations but there are too many to walk
> around and do it.
>
> I use 2000 server w/ sp4 and XP PRO w/ sp1.
>
> Thank you.

anton

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2001

I have done this in the past, however, the new settings
never appear when I open the GPO for edit using 2000
server. The artcile specifically says it recomends using
XP to edit upgraded GPOs but that 2000 server could be
used. Why then can I not see the upgraded settings using
2000 server? thanks

I have always used an XP Pro machine to manage W2K Group Policy, so I am not sure
what the deal is. But it has worked fine for me using the XP Pro machine. The other
reason I use an XP Pro machine is that I can use Group Policy Management Console
[which is amazing compared to the old way] on it for a W2K domain and with Adminpak
installed I can use the new AD command line tools such as dsadd, dsquery, dsget, and
dsmod. --- Steve

> I have done this in the past, however, the new settings
> never appear when I open the GPO for edit using 2000
> server. The artcile specifically says it recomends using
> XP to edit upgraded GPOs but that 2000 server could be
> used. Why then can I not see the upgraded settings using
> 2000 server? thanks

anton

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2001

Do I need to copy any .adm files from XP to w2k?

Not the way I do it. I just follow
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307900 . --- Steve