[SOLVED] Software utility to turn off unnecessary Windows services ?

aschoneveld

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2014
I while ago a saw a program in a bunch of different Valorant optimisation videos but of course I can't find any of them anymore. It wasn't Razor or iObit, it looked very simplified and "open source like". My laptop has been sweating these past few weeks and I don't have air conditioning 37C but it will be a lot worse soon. Throttlestop is throttling it to 3 watts but I still have high temps, 60C idle I can't afford to repaste/fan rn. I might have to reinstall Windows again but autoupdate will just reinstall all the jargon. SOS haha thanks.

Solution
Happy New Year!

My laptop has been sweating these past few weeks and I don't have air conditioning 37C but it will be a lot worse soon.
Make and model of your laptop? An SKU would help us two fold. What sort of undervolting have you performed using ThrottleStop? A side point, does your laptop have any BIOS updates pending?

I might have to reinstall windows again but autoupdate will just reinstall all the jargon.
On that note, what OS are you working with?

Lutfij

Titan
Happy New Year!

My laptop has been sweating these past few weeks and I don't have air conditioning 37C but it will be a lot worse soon.
Make and model of your laptop? An SKU would help us two fold. What sort of undervolting have you performed using ThrottleStop? A side point, does your laptop have any BIOS updates pending?

I might have to reinstall windows again but autoupdate will just reinstall all the jargon.

Solution
Here's the thing with Windows services: if they're working properly, they're not doing anything at all 99% of the time. Otherwise they just sit there consuming maybe a nibble of RAM. They're not consuming CPU resources if they're not being used (and no, they don't "poll" things).

If there's a Windows service that does appear to constantly fire off, it's more likely a problem from something else.

USAFRet

Titan
I while ago a saw a program in a bunch of different Valorant optimisation videos but of course I can't find any of them anymore. It wasn't Razor or iObit, it looked very simplified and "open source like". My laptop has been sweating these past few weeks and I don't have air conditioning 37C but it will be a lot worse soon. Throttlestop is throttling it to 3 watts but I still have high temps, 60C idle I can't afford to repaste/fan rn. I might have to reinstall Windows again but autoupdate will just reinstall all the jargon. SOS haha thanks.
Applications like that are almost always a bad idea.

Reactions: Corwin65
There is a built-in tool for that in Windows - why adding third party tools that also potentially may include some nasty surprises into a system?

Well - the services tool/app in window can be a little hard to find, but it can easily being accessed by Ctrl+R (it brings the run menu to manually enters name of executable windows files) and in there enter "services.msc" (no quotes).

D

Deleted member 14196

There used to be some gamer on the Internet, who kept a website with the information of all the services that you don’t really need to just game. The reason I don’t like changing anything is because you could break something that you need to use later on and forgot you turned it off and disabled it.

USAFRet

Titan
There used to be some gamer on the Internet, who kept a website with the information of all the services that you don’t really need to just game. The reason I don’t like changing anything is because you could break something that you need to use later on and forgot you turned it off and disabled it.
Black Viper?
Used to, yes. His site is almost 5 years out of date.

aschoneveld

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2014
Happy New Year!

HP site said there were none but just in case I installed the bios again and it wrote (or rewrote) all the files upon restart and I feel like a new person already (avg & 1% watts and temps seem lower) sitting at 52C again!
Core/Cache -100mv, else -50mv. HP envy 15 cn0019tx

I will disable services to improve startup speed, and firewall permissions in case it improves online latency.
Win11 sucks.
e.g Synaptics touchpad hasn't been fixed in 10 years but works if it doesn't get the chance to update.

Phone link, OOBE, razor updater, Widgets, "sync to receive blah blah", wireless LAN, movies & TV, are all annoying, I fear they are small services that take up CPU cache. I have been obsessed with L1 lately. (I'm being so critical it might just help to upgrade to a desktop)

I downloaded Privoxy proxy and i2pd and now i have 5x CefSharp.BrowserSubprocess.exe (embedded chromium brooowser) running at 0%.

Defender scan freezes on some folders unless I scan them individually. I will just scan every folder individually, back them up and reinstall windows? (joking not joking thanks windows).

Does a mouse with a low click latency mean it has an equally low axis latency?

enchilada

Last edited:
I will disable services to improve startup speed, and firewall permissions in case it improves online latency.
Win11 sucks.

e.g Synaptics touchpad hasn't been fixed in 10 years but works if it doesn't get the chance to update.

Phone link, OOBE, razor updater, Widgets, "sync to receive blah blah", wireless LAN, movies & TV, are all annoying, I fear they are small services that take up CPU cache. I have been obsessed with L1 lately. (I'm being so critical it might just help to upgrade to a desktop)

I downloaded Privoxy proxy and i2pd and now i have 5x CefSharp.BrowserSubprocess.exe (embedded chromium brooowser) running at 0%.

Defender scan freezes on some folders unless I scan them individually. I will just scan every folder individually, back them up and reinstall windows? (joking not joking thanks windows).

Does a mouse with a low click latency mean it has an equally low axis latency?

enchilada
While this was for Windows 10 and it's now 5-6 years old: https://linustechtips.com/blogs/ent...s-10-lean-do-anything-for-gaming-performance/

The tl;dr is that disabling and removing a bunch of things from Windows did nothing to improve boot times or gaming performance with a reasonably high end system of the time. Though of course, this started from more or less a base configuration of Windows and not something that one would find from a system builder.

Again, services, when behaving as intended, only take up a smidge of RAM. If they do take any CPU cycles, it's most likely the OS going "hey, you have something for me?" and the service going "No, leave me alone". If a service is constantly going off, that's an indication something is not right.