Software

firstlight

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012
I am the not so proud owner of new HP/Windows 8 which and to my surprise actually ran the older than dirt Photoshop 5 program that I had on my old HP/XP unit.

And then, it stopped working....telling me I didn't have enough RAM and/or I had a program error. Same program worked last week but not now.

Anyone else had this happy experience? Nothing would please me more than to upgrade the Photoshop 5 but Adobe's prices for their software are--and I'll say it--crazy.

Thanks,

First Light

firstlight

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012

Yes, I'd like to stay with Photoshop. Despite themselves, their photo editing features are quite remarkable.

First Light

pupulv

Honorable
May 9, 2013

I see. If you're looking for the features PS has, then why not try to find professional photo editing software that has similar features with PS? Download free trial version and try them before you buy. May you find some nice software.
Paint.NET
GIMP
PhotoStudio

WinOutreach2

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
If you have not already tried it, running the software in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3 may help resolve your issues if they are generated by the software looking for resources which were relocated in more modern versions of Windows. If that does not resolve the issue, you can take control over the shims (incompatibility resolutions) which are applied to Photoshop with the Application Compatibility Toolkit (ACT). In particular, you can emulate a specific, more compatible value for RAM and/or virtual memory if this is the root cause using the GlobalMemoryStatusLie shim. Information on ACT and its use is available from the Application Compatibility Center on the Springboard Series on TechNet.

Furthermore, you may also be able to resolve the memory issues by disabling your page file or manually configuring it for a smaller size. You can adjust the page file and virtual memory using the instructions here.