SoHo Multi purpose Windows Server, with scalability

treodeo

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
Hey guys, I'm a long time stalker, first time questioeer,

I'm looking to complete my multipurpose windows server for my SoHo network.

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: this weekend

Budget Range: $700 for CPU/MoBo/RAM || $1100 for RAID Card

System Usage from Most to Least Important:

Here are some functions I'd like it to perform ASAP
■ LAN/WAN file server for family use
■ Webserver for accessing LAN machines from the WAN
■ Virtual Host Server for specific roled PC's like MS Essentials 2012
■ Domain controller that comes with running MS server's

Future functions include
■ Webserver for personal CV
■ Exchange/Mail Server
■ Router
■ Vpn server
■ Data share for friends (minor feature)

Are you buying a monitor: No

Already have Parts:
■ 4224 Norco chassis
■ HX750 Corsair PSU
■ Hitachi 120GB SSD (from a macbook)
■ Hard drives galore. Currently 5 * 2TB Caviar Black drives, but will purchase WD Red

Parts to Upgrade: CPU/MoBo/RAM/RAID card ( if need be)

Do you need to buy OS: NO

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Ingram micro, newegg, ncix, tigerdirect

Parts Preferences: Asus, Intel, Supermicro,

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No
Your Monitor Resolution: N/A
Additional Comments: (e.g.: Need to have a window and lots of bling, I would like a quiet PC. Please also list specific software or games you're using)

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Not enough storage and functionality

Extra Notes:

I'm a Comptia A+ certified tech with minimal understanding of purpose built machines other than gaming. I understand that there are certain parts that work together and certain parts where it's just plain overkill (like a 750W PSU for an office rig). I'm hoping to set this machine up to learn about other OS and virtual networking along with other IT techniques while still supporting my families needs.

I'm hoping to consolidate all of my familes hard drives and data into this massive file server so that our family can have small SSD's while they save all of their data to this server so we don't have to worry about data loss. I do understand the risks of a centralized data storage using RAID and how it's not a backup, but I feel like it's mighty well close to one. I'm also, worried about scalability of this server setup. I'd like to be able to pop in HDD and increase our RAID pool with Online Capacity Migration, pop in RAM for more virtual OS, pop in a more expensive CPU when it becomes cheaper for better performance.

I'm looking at increasing my RAID hard drive capacity of 24 hard drives with the MegaRAID SAS 9280-24i4e but if there is a similiar card but cheaper with similiar enough features, I'm okay with that. What do you think of using drive pools or software raid? Do you think I would be able to get similiar performance with hardware raid, especially if I upgrade to SSD's for data?

I seriously don't know what I would go for a motherboard, CPU, RAM. I'm at a complete loss. I would take a blind guess to go with an Intel dual socket board or maybe an EVGA classified board but it would probably be overkill or not powerful enough. What kind of hardware would you guys recommend/ any articles to point me to looking at specifications that would benefit certain scenarios (gaming,webserver,file server, etc.).