Question Solar powered mining on Raspberry Pi 3 b+

kerangovender

Commendable
Nov 26, 2017
In theory I am going to start a project for a solar powered pi3B plus that mines litecoin

What I'm going to be using is the

pijuice power HAT
I don't know if I should choose a 20Watt or 40watt solar panel
I need a battery that is 4.2V to 10V
10000mah battery
Scrypt based ASIC usb

In theory this might be running 24/7 until hardware failure or something

Any help please

Last edited:

OldSurferDude

Reputable
May 18, 2019
I thought about this, too. I would be using Arduino/nRF24radio to sample data. I would have an AC powered base station to collate the data.

The Arduino would be powered from a solar powered light (easily found on amazon), but not using the light, just the solar power and storage. Some experimentation would have to be done to find the right light system ... first glance I see that they are from $10 on up.

ps, nothing runs forever. The solar panel's efficiency degrades 3%/yr and the battery degrades with every charge/discharge cycle

kerangovender

Commendable
Nov 26, 2017
Well I don't intend on doing this forever as I do other things with the pi as well so I will go with a hobby and I could make a little money too. What I want to know is if it will actually work and how many mah does the battery need for at least 12 hours

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
My point is that you will never even break even on the up front costs of this project, let alone make money.

Edit: I'm using this miner as an example: https://shop.futurebit.io/products/...c-miner-for-scrypt-algorithm-cryptocurrencies
Capable of ~5 MH/s.
Using this calculator, you'd be making ~70 cents a month. https://www.cryptocompare.com/minin...werConsumption=8&CostPerkWh=0&MiningPoolFee=1

So it'd take you nearly 5 years just to pay off the USB miner (nevermind the Pi, solar panels, etc), assuming no change in LTC price and mining difficulty.

Last edited:

kerangovender

Commendable
Nov 26, 2017
stick with 1 thread
Solar powering the pi, I want to know if this will run 24/7 until hardware failure or something

What I'm going to be using is the

pijuice power HAT
I don't know if I should choose a 20Watt or 40watt solar panel
I need a battery that is 4.2V to 10V
10000mah battery

Any help please

Assume your RPi with hats etc needs 1Amp, at 5V, this makes for 5Watts.
Assume ideal conditions. Your fully charged 10000mAh battery therefore will run your Rpi (needing 1000ma per hour) for ten hours.
Now, make opposite calculation - how big panel you need in order to both charge the battery (assume 1 Amp over 10 hours, also ideal condition), and run the RPi. Ideal condition say, 10Watts panel at 5VDc should be enough, if operating for ten hours.

What I mean with all these numbers - start low, and do measure. Get 10Wats panel, and your battery See how long you need to charge it. Then multiply that panel by at least two or three. Then add charge controller, Then add ….

TRENDING THREADS