Solar System and Inverter assistance needed.

RadicalRazor78

Prominent
Sep 30, 2021
I will be buying a Renogy 100 watt 30A pwm solar kit from amazon along with a Renogy 700 watt pure-sine inverter, and I could definitely use some help as a first timer.

My question is about fuse sizes.

The inverter comes with 4AWG Cables . What size fuse do I need to have between the positive battery terminal and inverter?
Also, I'm starting out with a single 100 watt panel (eventually expanded to 400 watts total) on a 100Ah SLA battery. What size fuse should I use between the panel and controller for now, and when I add more panels (400w) total?

I was also thinking of just using a breaker between batt and inverter rather than a fuse. Is that a better way to go?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Pretty sure the inverter is going to have a fuse already, that should be rated for the max flow through the wiring it comes with.

Website shows 6AWG wire, so might want to double check that, might be from a different rated unit.

A DC breaker would be a good idea though rather than a single use fuse. 1400W peak says you should have around a 120AMP breaker, nominal would be 60AMP, and I see a lot of 63 AMP DC breakers out there, so that is probably standard, probably takes it a second to actually pop, so the spikes won't trip it.

Reactions: RadicalRazor78

RadicalRazor78

Prominent
Sep 30, 2021
First off, thanks for your reply. I already received my controller, panel and wires from Amazon, whereas the inverter should arrive on Friday. I also bought a 100 A breaker to use between the battery and inverter just as a precautionary backup. From what I have been finding out online, most of the solar pros do not simply rely on the built in inverter protection alone, installing a fuse between battery and inverter. I guess the added protection is better to have.

Ralston18

Titan
@RadicalRazor78

FYI:

Is your solar system kit a standalone installation or are you tying into a home or business electrical system?

If the latter, you should check with the local authorities regarding any required permits, applicable electrical codes, installations, approvals, and inspections.

And all that may still be needed even if a stand-alone installation.

Your electrical/utilities service provider may also need to be notified and involved.

Not something you want to leave to chance.....