Question Solder advice for Vizio Soundbar w Bad Capacitor (Through the board repair)

coldengrey

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
Hello-
Hopefully not too off topic - wanted to stick to my home field to try to get advice...
Can someone briefly (or extensively LoL) fill me in on the intricacies of modern solder(ing)?

My brief for relevant details.... I've a vizio soundbar with a bad C21/C22 Electrolytic Capacitor.
What solder (brand/composition, etc?), solder sucker/solder wick, and finally an inexpensive solder iron or just what features and watts?

Thanks so much. I know this is a subjective thing/issues, so google may not render the type of proper insight someone with better experience may, here.

Grateful and I am,
JD

larkspur

Distinguished
A couple years ago I flew out to Ohio to help out my Dad who had fallen off a ladder and broken both his wrists. A few days after I arrived the backlight on his old Vizio TV decided to stop working. I opened it up and found six bulging caps on the power/inverter board. I ordered some nice panasonic caps from mouser. He didn't have a soldering iron and I didn't have access to mine at home (obviously) so I ended up just buying a super-cheapie from Home Depot. It came with a little bit of solder, but no solder wick. Luckily Home Depot sold a little spool of wick too. You can probably get by without using wick but its best to use it. I think I bought this one: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Weller-...n-Kit-with-LED-Halo-Ring-WLIRK3012A/315743439

Anyway, it worked fine in the pinch I was in and he was pleasantly surprised when I completed the repair and his TV worked perfectly again. Obviously if you do a lot of soldering you'd want a proper iron, but that cheapie got the job done just fine.

Reactions: coldengrey

coldengrey

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
A couple years ago I flew out to Ohio to help out my Dad who had fallen off a ladder and broken both his wrists. A few days after I arrived the backlight on his old Vizio TV decided to stop working. I opened it up and found six bulging caps on the power/inverter board. I ordered some nice panasonic caps from mouser. He didn't have a soldering iron and I didn't have access to mine at home (obviously) so I ended up just buying a super-cheapie from Home Depot. It came with a little bit of solder, but no solder wick. Luckily Home Depot sold a little spool of wick too. You can probably get by without using wick but its best to use it. I think I bought this one: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Weller-...n-Kit-with-LED-Halo-Ring-WLIRK3012A/315743439

Anyway, it worked fine in the pinch I was in and he was pleasantly surprised when I completed the repair and his TV worked perfectly again. Obviously if you do a lot of soldering you'd want a proper iron, but that cheapie got the job done just fine.

Well, FIRST: I hope your Pop had a full recovery as well as the TV, mate!
Appreciate you taking the time for me.
That looks like it'd be adequate for my uses (The iron). Good to hear I probably was good with offering Panasonic Caps, too!

* Trying to figure out what diameter (.6?) and tin/lead (with rosin cores???) would be suitable for a soundbar powerboat, through the board capacitor repair.
Size & solder composition and if one brand is superior level???

Guess I've got one shot at this LoL

Thanks

larkspur

Distinguished
Yeah, the Pops is fine, his wrists are all healed up and he has decided to avoid setting up ladders on icy pavement :) The kit that I linked includes a little bit of rosin core solder. And yes, rosin core will be perfect for your needs - it has a mild flux that helps bonding. Anyway, good luck with your repair. Cheers!

Reactions: coldengrey

coldengrey

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
Yeah, the Pops is fine, his wrists are all healed up and he has decided to avoid setting up ladders on icy pavement :) The kit that I linked includes a little bit of rosin core solder. And yes, rosin core will be perfect for your needs - it has a mild flux that helps bonding. Anyway, good luck with your repair. Cheers!
Once again, thanks for the one on one 'hand holding'... I've ALWAYS tried (hard) to treat others the way you've treated me > with kindness and remembering everybody is at different skill levels, different cognitive abilities, often relative to certain subjects at hand (I sailed through Medical School, but my brain doesn't work quite as sharply with mathematics, I'm mechanically DEclined LoL - I literally use a calculator to calculate dosing when body weight is involved > just zero conceptual planning/imagination on my part... If I can't read in book and apply fundamentals to higher levels of mastered human anatomy/phsiology, which has just always made sense to me; then I'm struggling... Have to build or plan a deck? There are 15yr olds who could run circles around me LoL)
As you can surely deduce, I have a strong disdain for forum community members who flame and seem to have been blessed with a specific cognitive area, in which they thrive, whilst making them ARROGANT... I get it, "Bruh, use google" is often the least rude, but still an blind from arrogance reply. If you've seen and answered same question(s) and are sick of it - perhaps those would be better suited outside of a COMMUNITY > everyone needs to observe and calculate both sides of every situation to be truly wise... Wisdom is only obtainable when it is accompanied by humility and empathy.
So, I just wanted to spend a much deserved few minutes to both thank you and congratulate you on being on the path to true wisdom and being a decent, kind, humble HUMAN. May someone, several times over, take something you are overwhelmed by, and offer to impart their mastery in a way that makes you understand, without attempting to humiliate you - as you've done for me ;)
*BTW, did your pops happen to sustain scaphoid breaks in wrists? Typically that's the overwhelming injury when trauma occurs with outstretched arms/hand attempting to break falls... It THE single bone in the entire body, I believe, which receives the least vascular blood flow support, vital in the healing process - making recovery times upwards of 3 months in cast and often require mechanical screws.
Take care, my friend.
Grateful and I am,
JD md

Last edited:
Reactions: larkspur