Solder Displayport to Sapphire HD 6670 1G D5

Jun 18, 2018
Hi everybody,

i own a Sapphire HD 6670 1G D5 with HDMI / VGA / DVI-D.
There is a quite similar model with a Displayport, the HD 6670 1G D5 DP

I assume they use the same PCB for both cards.
So, i think i found the soldering point for the DP on the PCB of my model as well:
0_original.jpg

Question: Does anybody know, if i can simply solder a Displayport to the soldering points for it in my HD 6670 1G D5, and it would work?

If there would be a configuration detail in the BIOS differ those both models, i guess i could simply
flash the BIOS of the DP model on my modified model (-:

Thanks for your help

Solution
Tracking down the vBIOS and parts from the other card would probably be as simple as buying that card. 6670 isn't actually the fastest thing in the world.

I would say you are more likely to damage the card then succeed, and you would have to track down all the missing components. There are going to be unpopulated points on that board where resistors and capacitors would need to go. Possibly some chips. And you'd probably have to remove more than the connector to disable the VGA output. Probably some control resistors for configuring the outputs somewhere.

All that said, what is wrong with adapting either DVI or HDMI to DP? Or getting an active VGA to HDMI adapter.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Tracking down the vBIOS and parts from the other card would probably be as simple as buying that card. 6670 isn't actually the fastest thing in the world.

I would say you are more likely to damage the card then succeed, and you would have to track down all the missing components. There are going to be unpopulated points on that board where resistors and capacitors would need to go. Possibly some chips. And you'd probably have to remove more than the connector to disable the VGA output. Probably some control resistors for configuring the outputs somewhere.

All that said, what is wrong with adapting either DVI or HDMI to DP? Or getting an active VGA to HDMI adapter.

Solution

You can get a hd 6670 or similar performance card for as low as 35$ quite easily. So indeed whats the point in trying to force the card to do something and having a huge chance of failiure.

Jun 18, 2018

Thank you for your thoughts! That pointed me in the right direction to make my decission. For a moment i was wondering if it really could be that easy, but your points sound very reasonable.

To answer your question: I had a monitor which had no DVI, it was capable of getting 1440p via HDMI, but the HD6670 isn't. sadly, although the HDMI 1.4 standard would be enough, it can only provide WQHD via DVI-D. And an active adapter wasn't an option.

Have a great day everybody (-: