News Soldered AMD Bristol Ridge APU Arrives on Biostar's New Mini-ITX Board

I wouldn't exactly label Bristol Ridge as powerful. It is based on the same old/slow architecture, as FX. This is going to have to sell for super cheap, to even begin to make sense, for anyone, as there are ryzen based Athlon APU's that are probably far more powerful.
Exactly. The only way this would make sense is if they offered the whole package for a lower price than even the cheapest zen based athlon.

Reactions: Rdslw
Exactly. The only way this would make sense is if they offered the whole package for a lower price than even the cheapest zen based athlon.

AAAAAnd it can happen, as athlon + mobo is over 100$ no mater what mobo you will pick. if that thing will be under 100$ with mobo AND cpu combo. strength wise its around 3'rd gen i5, so powerful like twin turbo mercedes 0.7 engine from smart.

I was going though that article hoping higher (I forgot bristol was not zen based) for R series of home theater boxes that can run crysis....

AAAAAnd it can happen, as athlon + mobo is over 100$ no mater what mobo you will pick. if that thing will be under 100$ with mobo AND cpu combo. strength wise its around 3'rd gen i5, so powerful like twin turbo mercedes 0.7 engine from smart.

I was going though that article hoping higher (I forgot bristol was not zen based) for R series of home theater boxes that can run crysis....

Not really, an athlon 3000g is $43 and an A320 motherboard is $50, so that's $93 total. However, that's for a mATX motherboard.

Unfortunately miniITX boards are more costly because most are B350/450 boards. The cheapest is generally around $99 just for the board.

If this soldered mini iTX solution is anywhere near $150, I'd say just buy an athlon 3000g and mini itx board separately. The included cooling fan on the 3000g is tiny.

If this soldered mini iTX solution is anywhere near $150, I'd say just buy an athlon 3000g and mini itx board separately. The included cooling fan on the 3000g is tiny.

What I was going for is if they offered the whole package for under the cost of just the 3000g. The performance difference between the 3000g and this is so significant, paying 100$ for the 3000g + mobo vs even 50$ for this I think is more in favor of the 3000g than this.

What I was going for is if they offered the whole package for under the cost of just the 3000g. The performance difference between the 3000g and this is so significant, paying 100$ for the 3000g + mobo vs even 50$ for this I think is more in favor of the 3000g than this.
IF you will see the differenct that is.
As just home theater box, it will work and no reason to go higher.

Reactions: TCA_ChinChin
IF you will see the differenct that is.
As just home theater box, it will work and no reason to go higher.
Exactly. Since you just need something to be dropped in and no reason for higher performance, this product would make a ton of sense if it was cheaper than the 3000g+mobo combo. If they were the same cost and performed similarly as a home theater box, I would choose the 3000g+mobo combo everyday of the week.

Yes it would be good for a HTPC, but I see more of an emulation device here. Throw this thing into a tiny case and have a great little device for sticking under the TV and playing games. If this thing is priced right it wouldn't be too bad. Heck if they priced it right they could be in Raspberry Pi territory on price, and that is a lot more power than the Pi 4 has.

Reactions: TCA_ChinChin

JWMiddleeton

Reputable
Apr 27, 2020
Original artical said:
The board itself comes with the basics you need for a media system and not much more.

Isn't that what an Amazon Fire Stike 4K does? We have one connected to our Samsung 65" Q70R and it works better than the smart TV functions that are built in.

John