[SOLVED] soldering new connector to pc mainboard

Dec 5, 2020
I have this old mainboard 01AJ155. In this link you can see it has two PCI x16 connections. One connector is used by my graphis card. I want to solder another PCI x16 connector. I tried to lookup the datasheet but I could only find this user manual from lenovo: ideacentre Y700–900 Hardware Maintenance Manual. Link: https://content.etilize.com/User-Manual/1037506121.pdf On p.30 you can see it also states two PCI x16 ports. My question is will this new connector work or is it without function (not connected to anyhting)?

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If you turn to page 55 on your User Manual, you've linked above, and use the mainboard model number, 01AJ155, you're going to see this;
01AJ154 MB H170 DDR4 DIMMx4 NO DPK BDPLANAR

That indicates that the board you have is an H170 chipset. The images of the back of that motherboard do not show much in terms of PCB trace going to that secondary missing PCIe slot
System-Motherboard-For-Lenovo-Ideacentre-Y700-34ISH-Y700-H170H4-LA-LGA1151-DDR4-Mainboard.jpg_q50.jpg

Even if you did get a slot on there, you'd need to wire it to x4. That's just the first half of the equation.

You don't know if your BIOS is gimped by Lenovo from the...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If you turn to page 55 on your User Manual, you've linked above, and use the mainboard model number, 01AJ155, you're going to see this;
01AJ154 MB H170 DDR4 DIMMx4 NO DPK BDPLANAR

That indicates that the board you have is an H170 chipset. The images of the back of that motherboard do not show much in terms of PCB trace going to that secondary missing PCIe slot
System-Motherboard-For-Lenovo-Ideacentre-Y700-34ISH-Y700-H170H4-LA-LGA1151-DDR4-Mainboard.jpg_q50.jpg

Even if you did get a slot on there, you'd need to wire it to x4. That's just the first half of the equation.

You don't know if your BIOS is gimped by Lenovo from the factory.

Solution