Question Soldering upgraded ports on a monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

r0dster

Commendable
Jul 22, 2019
Hey all,

Does anyone know if I can just replace the hdmi port on a monitor (asus pb287q) that can display 4k at 60hz on the displayport, but can only do 4k at 30hz on the hdmi port. So that it can display 4k at 60hz through the hdmi. Would it be that simple or is it not bottlenecked at just the port itself?

If it isn’t possible, does anyone know of a decently priced hdmi (source/in) to displayport (out)? Not displayport to hdmi. I tried searching for ages and I only came accross 1 product that could do 4k at 60hz at all (from a forum link), but it was $140/£112.

Thanks a lot guys

r0dster

Commendable
Jul 22, 2019
Unless it already has hardware for it installed in the monitor, just adding a connector would do nothing. If it already had HW they would put a connector too.
I mean, the hardware does actually support 4k at 60hz through the displayport, just not the hdmi. Which I believe would have been because the hdmi 2.0 standard had not come out yet or they were just cheaping out. But what makes hdmi a certain standard? Just the port or anything else too?

I mean, the hardware does actually support 4k at 60hz through the displayport, just not the hdmi. Which I believe would have been because the hdmi 2.0 standard had not come out yet or they were just cheaping out. But what makes hdmi a certain standard? Just the port or anything else too?
Port is not just a connector and cable is not just a piece of wire. There is practically a small computer inside modern monitors and has to be programmed for certain modes.

r0dster

Commendable
Jul 22, 2019
Port is not just a connector and cable is not just a piece of wire. There is practically a small computer inside modern monitors and has to be programmed for certain modes.
I understand that, but the “small computer” that can handle 4k60hz is there. I would have thought that if anything it’d be the printed circuits on the monitor’s circuit board that would be the problem (if they don’t carry the 4k60hz), or the monitor’s processor not sending it at 4k60hz through the hdmi circuits to begin with before reaching the hdmi port. But if the latter is the case, is it possible to hijack the displayport circuit and wire it to go through a hdmi 2.0 port?

I understand that, but the “small computer” that can handle 4k60hz is there. I would have thought that if anything it’d be the printed circuits on the monitor’s circuit board that would be the problem (if they don’t carry the 4k60hz), or the monitor’s processor not sending it at 4k60hz through the hdmi circuits to begin with before reaching the hdmi port. But if the latter is the case, is it possible to hijack the displayport circuit and wire it to go through a hdmi 2.0 port?
Did you use appropriate DP to HDMI cable ?

r0dster

Commendable
Jul 22, 2019
You are over-simplifying the whole concept of port standards. The engineering required to get an existing monitor to support later port standards is non-trivial, at best, and a complete waste of money and time.

Buy a new monitor.
Time is not a problem, and I have replaced ports in the past (but only for the same ports as the damaged ones that I was replacing), so I don’t think I would break the monitor (but if I do, it’s fine). I don’t want to buy a new monitor because it’s for a very specific event that will only last a month, after that I don’t need it anymore.

So if it’s actually possible, I’d rather either 1) swap the port, 2) reroute the displayport’s feed on the monitor’s circuit board into a hdmi 2.0 port, or 3) buy a decently priced hdmi to displayport conversion product.

Last edited:
I do not wish to be insulting in telling you the truth; however, the manner in which you have posed the question demonstrates that you do not understand the true scope and nature of the problem. If you already possessed the knowledge and skills requisite to accomplish the task that you have alluded to, you would not be asking here--you would know that it's not worth bothering with, or you would have already made the attempt and discovered why it's a waste of time.

Whether you like it, or not, your best solution lies in either replacing the monitor, or purchasing an active HDMI to DP converter (SIIG has been selling one such converter since May of 2018 -- SKU: CE-H22Z11-S1); either of which will undoubtedly cost less than what you will spend trying to re-engineer the HDMI front-end on the monitor you have now.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14196

if it's just a temporary thing, you want to spend the least bit on it as suggested above, plus you will NEVER make it work doing it yourself.

Without the technical manual for it and schematics which I doubt you could get, you have absolutely no clue what the electronics do. You would need complete schematics, special diagnostic equipment... the idea is ludicrous really because even if you could solder on a port, what would make it work properly? are you going to re-engineer the boards and chips?

Last edited by a moderator:

DSzymborski

Titan
Hey all,

Does anyone know if I can just replace the hdmi port on a monitor (asus pb287q) that can display 4k at 60hz on the displayport, but can only do 4k at 30hz on the hdmi port. So that it can display 4k at 60hz through the hdmi. Would it be that simple or is it not bottlenecked at just the port itself?

If it isn’t possible, does anyone know of a decently priced hdmi (source/in) to displayport (out)? Not displayport to hdmi. I tried searching for ages and I only came accross 1 product that could do 4k at 60hz at all (from a forum link), but it was $140/£112.

Thanks a lot guys

Soldering on a different port would have the same effect as painting a racing stripe on a car to make it go faster. Ports only facilitate physical connections; they don't change what the hardware is capable of.

r0dster

Commendable
Jul 22, 2019
I do not wish to be insulting in telling you the truth; however, the manner in which you have posed the question demonstrates that you do not understand the true scope and nature of the problem. If you already possessed the knowledge and skills requisite to accomplish the task that you have alluded to, you would not be asking here--you would know that it's not worth bothering with, or you would have already made the attempt and discovered why it's a waste of time.

Whether you like it, or not, your best solution lies in either replacing the monitor, or purchasing an active HDMI to DP converter (SIIG has been selling one such converter since May of 2018 -- SKU: CE-H22Z11-S1); either of which will undoubtedly cost less than what you will spend trying to re-engineer the HDMI front-end on the monitor you have now.
And how do we gain knowledge and skill, is it not by asking, reading and learning? I don’t need to already have the know-how to do it, because yes, why would I ask anything if that was the case. I had done some searching prior to posting this but I could not find anyone talking about it.

I don’t know why it bothers you so much for me to ask this question, and I do not know why you insist on replying when you clearly don’t have the technical knowledge to explain why it is or isn’t possible. It’s a forum to ask questions and discuss topics, I don’t see why you have an issue with this being discussed.

r0dster

Commendable
Jul 22, 2019
if it's just a temporary thing, you want to spend the least bit on it as suggested above, plus you will NEVER make it work doing it yourself.

Without the technical manual for it and schematics which I doubt you could get, you have absolutely no clue what the electronics do. You would need complete schematics, special diagnostic equipment... the idea is ludicrous really because even if you could solder on a port, what would make it work properly? are you going to re-engineer the boards and chips?
Of course I want to spend the least possible, but I haven’t found a solution for that. As I stated cables that convert hdmi to dp cost £112 due to lack of demand.

As far as schematics, that would only be the case if I was trying to replace other components, not really so if I’m talking just about the circuit lanes that feed into displayports and hdmi ports, those are standard. So no schematics would be needed IF it was just that part that needed attention.

r0dster

Commendable
Jul 22, 2019
Soldering on a different port would have the same effect as painting a racing stripe on a car to make it go faster. Ports only facilitate physical connections; they don't change what the hardware is capable of.
People keep mentioning “hardware” but nothing specific, which leads me to believe you don’t actually know what you mean when you say that word. I’ve clearly stated that the monitor supports outputting a 4k60hz video stream, so the only difference is converting a dp stream into a hdmi stream.

DSzymborski

Titan
People keep mentioning “hardware” but nothing specific, which leads me to believe you don’t actually know what you mean when you say that word. I’ve clearly stated that the monitor supports outputting a 4k60hz video stream, so the only difference is converting a dp stream into a hdmi stream.

None of this works remotely in the way that you think it does.

But regardless, since this is a complete dead-end from an idea standpoint and you're determined to be rude about it, there's no further need for my participation in this thread.

D

Deleted member 14196

you have absolutely no clue what the electronics do and you have proven it many time. That last response was the icing on the cake. Have fun

r0dster

Commendable
Jul 22, 2019
None of this works remotely in the way that you think it does.

But regardless, since this is a complete dead-end from an idea standpoint and you're determined to be rude about it, there's no further need for my participation in this thread.
you have absolutely no clue what the electronics do and you have proven it many time. That last response was the icing on the cake. Have fun
Have fun ✌️, as I didn’t get any responses whatsoever that were even remotely technical.

Status
Not open for further replies.