Question Soldering upgraded ports on a monitor?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

r0dster

Commendable
Jul 22, 2019
Hey all,

Does anyone know if I can just replace the hdmi port on a monitor (asus pb287q) that can display 4k at 60hz on the displayport, but can only do 4k at 30hz on the hdmi port. So that it can display 4k at 60hz through the hdmi. Would it be that simple or is it not bottlenecked at just the port itself?

If it isn’t possible, does anyone know of a decently priced hdmi (source/in) to displayport (out)? Not displayport to hdmi. I tried searching for ages and I only came accross 1 product that could do 4k at 60hz at all (from a forum link), but it was $140/£112.

Thanks a lot guys

r0dster

Commendable
Jul 22, 2019

USAFRet

Titan
This is not the point, I’m asking for a technical answer from someone who actually knows how or why it is/isn’t possible.
Because the motherboard in the monitor does not have the proper circuitry to output 4k at 60Hz at the HDMI port.
The fact that it can do it at the DisplayPort does not mean it can also do it at the HDMI port, by virtue of just slapping on some other connector.

r0dster

Commendable
Jul 22, 2019
Please realize that you received answers at the same level of technical detail that you, yourself, provided.

Here you go....start your modifications, and get back to us when you're done:

https://fccid.io/img.php?id=678737&img=bg2.png
How does this comment make sense? I was as specific and technical as I needed to be for the question aim to be understood. You can’t tell me why it’s not possible (as you obviously don’t know ), but yet insist on posting with no explantion to back anything up.

Start my modifications and get back? How does that make any sense either, what would be the point of me asking if I already knew how to do it? But by all means keep posting for no reason, I guess there’s nothing I can do about that.

r0dster

Commendable
Jul 22, 2019
Because the motherboard in the monitor does not have the proper circuitry to output 4k at 60Hz at the HDMI port.
The fact that it can do it at the DisplayPort does not mean it can also do it at the HDMI port, by virtue os just slapping on some other connector.
But there are actual cables that can actually do it, such as this https://www.amazon.com/SIIG-HDMI-DisplayPort-Converter-60Hz/dp/B0787F4QZZ?th=1&psc=1

So I guess I was hoping that someone with actual technical knowledge on the matter would reply, but I guess not. The community on here, at least the ones on this post, seem very unfriendly and purposely unhelpful, despite not having a technical understanding on the subject and therefore not being able to shed any light to begin with.

USAFRet

Titan
But there are actual cables that can actually do it, such as this https://www.amazon.com/SIIG-HDMI-DisplayPort-Converter-60Hz/dp/B0787F4QZZ?th=1&psc=1

So I guess I was hoping that someone with actual technical knowledge on the matter would reply, but I guess not. The community on here, at least the ones on this post, seem very unfriendly and purposely unhelpful, despite not having a technical understanding on the subject and therefore not being able to shed any light to begin with.
I'm sorry that we have not been able to provide a pin by pin, step by step solution...to an impossible task.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
The problem with this type of cable (ignoring the 30hz limitation on this specific link) is that it only works one way, from dp to hdmi. But I need it from hdmi to dp, which seem to cost like 140 dollars due to lack of demand.

Its not due to lack of demand, the cable literally has an active conversion chipset to allow it function the way you want it to.

You are looking at a digital problem in an analog way. This isn't as simple as a stereo where left positive goes to left positive, and right positive, goes to right. There is active signal processing that goes to creating these outputs at their specific performance. There is no way to soldier in an HDMI to the DP connector because the wiring and signal processing is completely different.

I understand you may think its unfriendly but multiple people have told you the same thing in here and yet you keep insisting there must be a way to do it. There is not. And hence I have given you both the answer you seek and a point to close this thread as it is only going to devolve into a flame war.

Status
Not open for further replies.