[SOLVED] Solid 1440p 144hz G-SYNC monitors?

Fusion1005

Commendable
Jan 15, 2020
Want a good 1440p 144hz g-sync monitor and my budget is $300-$400. Any recommendations?

Note: I would like it to be IPS, but I know it will be hard to find one with the features I want at my budget.

Edit: Looking for a 27" monitor.

Last edited:
Solution
It's in their list, just without the "-B" at the end. That part of the model number likely just refers to a minor product revision...

In any case, even if a monitor isn't in Nvidia's official list of screens certified for G-Sync compatibility, one can manually enable adaptive sync on most FreeSync monitors connected via a DisplayPort connection.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Perhaps one of the following will catch your interest?
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVd3LX2DCCQ

Best 1440p IPS The Premium, Balanced Choice - 1:18
ASUS VG27AQ Alternative Mention for ELMB Sync - 3:55
Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Alternative Mention - 4:15
LG 27GL83A Alternative Mention - 4:33
Best 1440p VA For Mid-Range Buyers - 5:10
Best 1440p TN When You Need Speed and Nothing But Speed - 8:35
Best Budget 1440p IPS Great Quality for Under $350 - 11:19
Best Budget 1440p VA The Cheapest 1440p Monitors Around - 14:07

Fusion1005

Commendable
Jan 15, 2020
Found this monitor, seems to tick all the boxes including the IPS panel and on the Amazon page it says it is a g-sync compatible monitor. However, when I go to NVIDIA's page with all of the g-sync compatible monitors it is nowhere to be found.

Reactions: King_V
It's in their list, just without the "-B" at the end. That part of the model number likely just refers to a minor product revision...

In any case, even if a monitor isn't in Nvidia's official list of screens certified for G-Sync compatibility, one can manually enable adaptive sync on most FreeSync monitors connected via a DisplayPort connection.

Solution

Fusion1005

Commendable
Jan 15, 2020
The "Nvidia tax" for GSync is no longer necessary. All Nvidia 10-, 16-, and 20- series cards now support FreeSync monitors.

But from what I have seen, there could be some issues such as screen flickering with a Freesync display running G-SYNC. Then again, I'm pretty sure the video I saw that information was from NVIDIA themselves, so it could be biased. Would there be any of these problems for me?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
From what I read, that was with some particularly bottom-of-the-barrel monitors that didn't really implement FreeSync correctly in the first place. I am currently using a FreeSync monitor NOT on Nvidia's "approved" list in combination with a GTX 1080, and FreeSync works fine on it.

Of course, being very slow to add monitors to the "officially tested" list, and the uncertainty around it, is rather helpful for selling more GSync monitors while they still exist.

But from what I have seen, there could be some issues such as screen flickering with a Freesync display running G-SYNC. Then again, I'm pretty sure the video I saw that information was from NVIDIA themselves, so it could be biased. Would there be any of these problems for me?
Yeah, that was an Nvidia presentation, and I think they were trying hard to make their G-Sync monitors appear better. There are a handful of mostly older FreeSync screens that can experience issues, though the vast majority will work just fine. Unlike the original G-Sync screens, which used an expensive Nvidia chipset inside, "G-Sync Compatible" screens are simply FreeSync screens that have been tested by Nvidia to meet certain performance criteria, and have the feature turned on by default.

Fusion1005

Commendable
Jan 15, 2020
From what I read, that was with some particularly bottom-of-the-barrel monitors that didn't really implement FreeSync correctly in the first place. I am currently using a FreeSync monitor NOT on Nvidia's "approved" list in combination with a GTX 1080, and FreeSync works fine on it.

Of course, being very slow to add monitors to the "officially tested" list, and the uncertainty around it, is rather helpful for selling more GSync monitors while they still exist.

Got it. I found this monitor, the Samsung C27HG70. It's a Freesync 2 monitor, and I know this means you can use HDR with FreeSync. However, does FreeSync 2 also mean you can use HDR with G-SYNC?

This is worth a look. While it officially supports freesync, reviewers here at Tom's said they were able to use gsync with it.
Dell S3220DGF
This one isn't Gsync friendly. I had it and returned it. Lots of flickering at 165hz. Used CRU and made a 144hz and 120hz refresh rate. That helped, but not enough. I could never get the same smoothness as my true GSync monitor.

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Got it. I found this monitor, the Samsung C27HG70. It's a Freesync 2 monitor, and I know this means you can use HDR with FreeSync. However, does FreeSync 2 also mean you can use HDR with G-SYNC?
From BenQ's site:
What is FreeSync 2? And How it is different from FreeSync?

FreeSync 2 might sound like it is a direct successor of FreeSync, but it is not. FreeSync 2 is not a successor or substitute to FreeSync. Both these technologies are created for different purposes and expected to co-exist in the market.

FreeSync 2 was designed to provide a standard for higher quality monitors that support variable refresh rate as well as additional premium features. If you are, however, a casual gamer and you are not interested in investing in a high-end monitor, there is nothing wrong with getting a FreeSync monitor. It does not mean that you are getting out-of-date technology. Rather, it means that you are purchasing a more affordable mainstream version.

Three additional characteristics provided by FreeSync 2 are high dynamic range, low framerate compensation, and low latency.

So, as long as it's some kind of FreeSync, and not one of the bargain basement monitors, you should be good.

This one isn't Gsync friendly. I had it and returned it. Lots of flickering at 165hz. Used CRU and made a 144hz and 120hz refresh rate. That helped, but not enough. I could never get the same smoothness as my true GSync monitor.

That's odd. The only thing I can think of is - you weren't trying to do 165 through HDMI, were you? Only up to 144 would be supported via HDMI. 165 requires DisplayPort.