Solid color after splash screen...has my card failed? (gtx 280 ocx)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayellis25

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2010
Yesterday I installed a new hard drive in my system. I removed my graphics card and did a full restore. After completing the windows install, I reattached my vid card (BFG gtx280 ocx) and loaded windows. Windows installed the card and required a restart. On restart, right after the windows splash screen, the screen went solid red.

At this point, I figured it was driver issue. I turned my system off, removed my vid card and loaded windows. I downloaded the latest drivers for my card from nvidia. I then turned my system off, reattached the card and loaded windows. This time after windows installed the card, I installed the new drivers. On restart this time, same story except the screen looked like a red and blue fractal.

Is this a symptom of a failed graphics card? I removed it and reinstalled my older card (BFG 9800gtx), updated drivers for it, and it runs perfectly fine.

My specs:
AMD 9850
8g ddr2 6400
Seagate Barracuda 160g hdd
Thermaltake TR2-850 psu

1maddog

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010

I'm having the same problem. I've uninstalled everything nvidia, removed the drivers, tried installing the oldest driver I could fine (Jan 09), still the same.

Put an old pci-e and it works ok. Was thinking it was driver related since this has happened when I updated the video drivers, but rollback didn't help there either.

It does look like jayellis25's card has indeed died but that is no reason to hijack his thread, so please start your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.