[SOLVED] Solid coloured screen followed by restart

Jul 15, 2021
Hi all,
I having issues with my computer randomly crashing, automatically restarting after a few seconds.
I think this only occurs when the GPU is under load.

What typically happens is I would get a solid colour screen for 2-3 seconds, the colour of which is random, during which audio still works and I can still talk and communicate on voice chat. Afterwards, the computer automatically restarts.

Event Viewer shows a Kernel-Power error, with Event ID 41. There is no information in EventData (all 0's).

The system is not overclocked. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling graphics drivers.

I have also tried running Prime95 and FurMark for 2-3hrs without the computer crashing. CPU temps sit at around 85, GPU sits between 68-75. Ambient was around 15.

I suspect airflow isn't great with my build.

Build:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT
MB: X470 GAMING PLUS MAX
GPU: AMD RX 570 8GB STRIX GAMING OC
RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB
SSD: Western Digital Green 240 GB
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM
PSU: Corsair CV450

I'm not quite sure what might be the cause of the issues.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Sorry, quite new to all this.
Pre-test, the voltages are 5, 3.344, 3.376 and 12.192.
During the test, they are 5.08, 3.311, 3.311 and 12.
Excellent.
They look good.
Although....being your temps seem good....and your voltages seem good....and you are getting a green screen...I think chances aren't small that it might be the GPU itself.

I recently had an RTX 2080 Ti fail....and it went to a green screen.

I've had other GPUS fail...and green screens have been involved in those as well.
Jul 15, 2021
Many times this is either high temps or voltages and being your temps are good I'd suspect the PSU.
Do you have one to swap in?
Can you check the voltages in the BIOS?
You can also check the with HWInfo.
I don't have a PSU I can swap in. The GPU voltage appears to be 0.744V before the stress testing. During, it appears to fluctuate around 0.875V.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021
Not GPU voltage....PSU voltages.
They might be in the BIOS (though not under much load).
The main ones are +12, +5 and + 3.3.
You can generally get them from HWInfo as well depending on the MB.
During the test, they are 5.08, 3.344, 3.344 and 12.

During the test, they are 5.08, 3.311, 3.311 and 12.
Excellent.
They look good.
Although....being your temps seem good....and your voltages seem good....and you are getting a green screen...I think chances aren't small that it might be the GPU itself.

I've had other GPUS fail...and green screens have been involved in those as well.

Solution
Jul 15, 2021
Excellent.
They look good.

In that case, I should RMA it?