Solid Speeds then random drops

Jul 10, 2018
Hello,
In order to get internet to my PC, I must use a wireless WiFi extender that's placed in my room and run an ethernet cable from the extender into my PC. For some reason, my wireless speeds will drop to 3-8 Mbps, which makes my gaming connection suffer. Setup:

Linksys - MAX-STREAM AC1900 Dual-Band Router with 4-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch
Netgear WN3000RP extender
Comaast NETGEAR AC1600 WiFi DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem

Is there some compatibility issue? It was fine up until yesterday. Firmware upgrade? I didn't see any notifications.

Thanks

stdragon

Admirable
Try a different WiFi channel. It could be interference as the 2.4Ghz band is heavily crowded. In addition, try using the 5Ghz band if possible. It has shorter range, and doesn't do so well going through solid objects, but the SNR floor is much lower, so connectivity remains pretty consistent.

Jul 10, 2018

When I was managing my wifi extender, it couldn't pick up the 5Ghz channel, so it may be a single channel device. Is there a difference between WN and AC extenders? I have no problem replacing my extender for a duel channel or even triple at my local Best Buy.

When I was on my laptop in the same room as my extender, I was getting about 75Mbps on the 2.4 channel. But on my PC that is hooked into the extender, it was getting very low numbers. But it also tested well, it was just last night.

I am going to see if the problem has persisted throughout today. Either way, that extender is getting old and may need an upgrade. Thanks