Question Solid Z790 Motherboard for a 13900K

nondem

Honorable
Apr 18, 2016
My trusty i7-6700K system developed some issues and I need to swap out my motherboard/processor and memory.
The rest of the system will suffice till I get this stuff installed and my "command center" back in operation. :)

I want to get an i9 13900K which I'll hopefully use as long as I have the old 6700k. I'd also like it to be a 790/DDR5 to keep it relevant for as long as possible.
I don't need tons of USB's, wifi etc...I just want to be able to run the stock 13900k to it's full potential and not hamstring it with inadequate power.
I don't plan to overclock....aside from tinkering maybe once when I get the system.
I do like to buy overbuilt hardware but $500+ for a motherboard is more than I want to spend if I can help it.
I do play some games, but this system is what I use for EVERYTHING...I mean it's my primary teevee, CAD/3d Printing, app development...run VM's...you name it.

What motherboard is adequate? I like the Gigabyte boards but I see people saying the mid and low range ones are not recommended for the 13900k due to weak VRM.
Aside from that GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX seems attractive?

nondem

Honorable
Apr 18, 2016

nondem

Honorable
Apr 18, 2016
Well, my main concern what the VRM situation...I mean, any of the mid to top tier boards could be considered good but it seems all the reviews are about i5 and i7 builds for gaming and overclocking potential.

I'm looking for the cheapest board that will get all of the stock performance out of the i9 13900k....in a nutshell. Pretty much all of them have the features I need...

Skywragengl

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2015
Well, my main concern what the VRM situation...I mean, any of the mid to top tier boards could be considered good but it seems all the reviews are about i5 and i7 builds for gaming and overclocking potential.

I'm looking for the cheapest board that will get all of the stock performance out of the i9 13900k....in a nutshell. Pretty much all of them have the features I need...
yea, this is what I am looking too