Soloing vs. teaming

I've just arrived at this message board and I've got a question:

1) Which would you prefer: soloing entirely through the game or working
with teams?

While soloing can work, and there are a lot of people who seem to do
that, I've found that the game is designed to encourage teamwork, in a
lot of ways:

1) The task forces and respecs are essentially team-oriented (I do
admit hearing people say they've asked ppl to log off those teams to
allow them to solo through it, but that's been rare, and it's never
happened to my groups);
2) The more ppl on a team for a door mission, the bigger the spawns are
and the more xp and inf is available;
3) no matter how powerful you make your AT, it's still going to need
some other AT to balance it out and even make it better. Sure, tankers
and scrappers can solo if they want, but it's so much nicer to team
with a defender or controller that can heal/boost ya. How many tankers
love having a FF defender or Controller with Kinetic secondary or
someone with Empathy powers and its Fortitude buff?
4) Badge hunting Spirit Masks and Master Illusionists. Nuff said. ;-)

wittylibrarian@lycos.com wrote:
> I've just arrived at this message board and I've got a question:
>
> 1) Which would you prefer: soloing entirely through the game or
working
> with teams?

Teaming. If I didn't want to interact with real people, I would not be
playing a MMO. However, there are times when I just want to do my own
thing (or I don't have a whole lot of time to get involved in other
people's missions), so I may solo a bit.

In article <1110835084.608563.174630@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
wittylibrarian@lycos.com wrote:
> I've just arrived at this message board and I've got a question:
>
> 1) Which would you prefer: soloing entirely through the game or working
> with teams?

Ideally, some of both. Sometimes you just want to punch evil at your own
pace, sometimes you want to run around with a bunch of crackbrained fire
blasters with poor impulse control and annihilate everything that moves.

I don't think I've ever had a "wow, that was cool" moment solo, since I
can afford to be cautious enough that there's little risk. I have lots
of great stories from teaming up. Especially if the team is bad.

--
--- An' thou dost not get caught, do as thou wilt shall be the law ---
"Religion disperses like a fog, kingdoms perish, but the works of

<wittylibrarian@lycos.com> wrote:
> I've just arrived at this message board and I've got a question:
>
> 1) Which would you prefer: soloing entirely through the game or working
> with teams?

I prefer teaming. Probably due to the inherent weak defense of my blaster,
but even with my other toons who are not blasters i do enjoy groups. More
XP and really good teams will watch each others backs quite nicely.

DC
--
8 Infinity Server 8
Purple Kid - Lvl 27 - M - Magic Blaster - Energy/Energy

wittylibrarian@lycos.com wrote:

> I've just arrived at this message board and I've got a question:
>
> 1) Which would you prefer: soloing entirely through the game or working
> with teams?

I have no aversion to teaming per se, but the fact is that the typical MMO
player has the tactical skills of lettuce. I don't suffer fools
gladly...actually, I gladly make fools suffer.

> 3) no matter how powerful you make your AT, it's still going to need
> some other AT to balance it out and even make it better.

Eh, right now a good Scrapper build only needs teammates for certain AVs. I
agree that's a problem, an AV should tear any soloist in half, no questions
asked, but it's the way the game works right now.

> Sure, tankers
> and scrappers can solo if they want, but it's so much nicer to team
> with a defender or controller that can heal/boost ya. How many tankers
> love having a FF defender or Controller with Kinetic secondary or
> someone with Empathy powers and its Fortitude buff?

Frankly, in the general case, teammates don't offer my Kat/SR anything of
consequence. I'm already got more than enough Defense to deal with Invincible
door missions. Since nothing can hit me, adding resistance doesn't do
anything, nor do I need any significant amount of healing. I already have
protection against status effects. The mobs are all going to be dead shortly
so they don't need to be CC'd.

There are mobs that can rain on my parade -- high Accuracy types like Rularuu
eyeballs or DE's with Quartz eminators, or autohit attacks like Death Mage
auras -- but generally speaking teams don't do much for me.

--
Dennis F. Heffernan CoH: Venture (Virtue) hefferman@comcast.net
#include <disclaim.h> MS Messenger: Venture

"And I say now these kittens, they do not get trained/As we did in the days
when Victoria reigned!" -- T.S. Eliot, "Gus, the Theatre Cat"

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 14:09:16 -0500, Dennis Francis Heffernan
<hefferman@comcast.net> wrote:

> There are mobs that can rain on my parade -- high Accuracy types like Rularuu
>eyeballs or DE's with Quartz eminators

Death to the dev that designed the Quartz eminators. Death, I say,
DEATH! >< Seriously, basically totally turning off an entire defense
set. Ick. While we're at it, the Malta bots shutting off Regen... But
those aren't as bad, it's only temporary and they don't seem to use it
too often.

--
Dark Tyger

Sympathy for the retailer:
http://www.actsofgord.com/index.html
"Door's to your left" -Gord

Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814

In article <1110846946.668648.9140@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>, The Black Guardian wrote:
> wittylibrarian@lycos.com wrote:
>> I've just arrived at this message board and I've got a
>> question:
>>
>> 1) Which would you prefer: soloing entirely through the game
>> or working with teams?
>
> Teaming. If I didn't want to interact with real people, I would
> not be playing a MMO. However, there are times when I just want
> to do my own thing (or I don't have a whole lot of time to get
> involved in other people's missions), so I may solo a bit.

Solo gets boring a lot faster than teaming. Teams add the human
elements of risk, trust, hate, betrayal, idiocy, and blather.
Sure, you will almost certainly get more debt, but the challenge
can be much greater, and more fun.

Playing solo is a lot of fun, for that lone-wolf challenge, but I
find myself repeating the same tactics over and over, and losing
connection.

--
Neil Cerutti

Dark Tyger wrote:

> Death to the dev that designed the Quartz eminators. Death, I say,
> DEATH! >< Seriously, basically totally turning off an entire defense
> set. Ick. While we're at it, the Malta bots shutting off Regen... But
> those aren't as bad, it's only temporary and they don't seem to use it
> too often.

Everyone's got to have their kryptonite. It's no different than
Invulnerability types running into the plethora of psychic attacks post-40.

--

Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote:
> Death to the dev that designed the Quartz eminators. Death, I say,
> DEATH!

What, you don't deal any smashing damage? All the rockie-boys shatter like
glass for me. :)

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 25 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-

On 14 Mar 2005 16:35:46 -0800, The Black Guardian <blakgard@aol.com> wrote:
> wittylibrarian@lycos.com wrote:
>> I've just arrived at this message board and I've got a question:
>>
>> 1) Which would you prefer: soloing entirely through the game or working
>> with teams?
>
> Teaming. If I didn't want to interact with real people, I would not be
> playing a MMO. However, there are times when I just want to do my own
> thing (or I don't have a whole lot of time to get involved in other
> people's missions), so I may solo a bit.

Actually I would be willing to pay a monthly sum for an offline game with
the same features as CoH and regular downloadable updates. It just happens
that such a game does not exist.

That said, I usually prefer duoing over soloing. It is slower in terms of
leveling, but more fun since I can fight a wider range of enemies.

good sign." -G

nostromo

Thus spake Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no>, Thu, 17 Mar 2005 01:48:26
+0100, Anno Domini:

>On 14 Mar 2005 16:35:46 -0800, The Black Guardian <blakgard@aol.com> wrote:
>> wittylibrarian@lycos.com wrote:
>>> I've just arrived at this message board and I've got a question:
>>>
>>> 1) Which would you prefer: soloing entirely through the game or working
>>> with teams?
>>
>> Teaming. If I didn't want to interact with real people, I would not be
>> playing a MMO. However, there are times when I just want to do my own
>> thing (or I don't have a whole lot of time to get involved in other
>> people's missions), so I may solo a bit.
>
>Actually I would be willing to pay a monthly sum for an offline game with
>the same features as CoH and regular downloadable updates. It just happens
>that such a game does not exist.
>
>That said, I usually prefer duoing over soloing. It is slower in terms of
>leveling, but more fun since I can fight a wider range of enemies.

On that topic, how does one go about getting a server install for CoH? Who
wouldn't like a nice free 'shard' with custom rules & a regular 'community'?
;-) (which is why I've taken to UO (on Shadowcove II) for the first time
ever, when I'd never even considered it a few short years ago.

--
No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 18:21:45 +1100, Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote:

> On that topic, how does one go about getting a server install for
> CoH? Who wouldn't like a nice free 'shard' with custom rules & a
> regular 'community'? ;-) (which is why I've taken to UO (on
> Shadowcove II) for the first time ever, when I'd never even
> considered it a few short years ago.

One doesn't. It's simply not available.

(Well, at one point, due to a technical goof, the entire source code
of CoH, plus the CoH server, was accidentally distributed to a handful
of people via the Training Room's auto-updater...but anyone who
received it should have promptly deleted it.)

--
Chris Meadows aka | Homepage: http://www.terrania.us
Robotech_Master |
| http://www.terrania.us/conga.html

nostromo

Thus spake Robotech_Master <robotech@eyrie.org>, Fri, 18 Mar 2005 05:00:27
GMT, Anno Domini:

>On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 18:21:45 +1100, Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote:
>
>> On that topic, how does one go about getting a server install for
>> CoH? Who wouldn't like a nice free 'shard' with custom rules & a
>> regular 'community'? ;-) (which is why I've taken to UO (on
>> Shadowcove II) for the first time ever, when I'd never even
>> considered it a few short years ago.
>
>One doesn't. It's simply not available.
>
>(Well, at one point, due to a technical goof, the entire source code
>of CoH, plus the CoH server, was accidentally distributed to a handful
>of people via the Training Room's auto-updater...but anyone who
>received it should have promptly deleted it.)

The funny thing is, if they released it as a standalone game (LAN/TCP even
for up to 8 players), perhaps spruced up the NPCs/missions a tad, I'd
probably buy it, as no doubt would many others, & they'd make additional
revenue from many ppl who won't play an mmog.