solution to system freeze with ati 9600 pro and a

redstar

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
Hi
I was talking to an ati senior tech about my system lockup problem when using the ati 9600 pro.

He agreed that it probably was an incompatibility with my MSI K7T266 pro -r mother board.

As a last thought he said, disable AGP write and read.
So i did, and something like 8 hrs of gaming later..i have not had one single lockup. I think the problem might be solved (at a 25% performance penalty)

but here is my new problem:

Nvidia's AGPem utility reports that i have 0 AGP memory.
The odd reference i found..suggests that I need the latest AGP driver --or the hyperion 4 in 1 driver in my case. But i already have done this.

27/12/2002 is the date for my VIA CPU to AGP controller
(is this the correct date?? -- the tech thought that was way too old..and yet the hyperion installation said it was successful)

And..having to turn off AGP write/read ..is that a MB problem or does it point to an actual video card weakness?

TIA

--------
1.3 GHz AMD athalon thunderbird A
MSI k7t266-pro-r (VIA KT266 chipset) latest hyperion 4 in 1 drivers
ati 9600 radeon pro 128 meg - 3.6 cat drivers
512 DDR 2700 spec ram
win200pro Sp4
350 watt enermax power supply.

Lathander

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003
well, disabling agp will decrease the performance a lot. this is not something we can sacrifice, i quess. maybe they can fix it in the new drivers.

endyen

Splendid
Maybe Nvidia's AGPem utility is adversely affecting your Ati card. What other nvidia progs are on your system. There are major conflicts between nvidia software and Ati software. Remove all things nvidia and then run driver cleaner from the driver heaven website. Then reload agp drivers video card driver (latest catalyst) and directx in that order.

redstar

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
no no ..i did this only after weeks of testing.

i found a tweak guide for radeon and it mentioned nvidia's utility... it is NOT card specific :)