[SOLVED] 2700k 2 cores 4 threads?

Xeno326

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Ok this is resolved - re-installing the OS fixed the issue. I see all 8 cpu's (physical and virtual) in task manager, Core Temp shows all 4 CPU's now with thermals and CPU-Z any version see's all 4 cores and 8 threads.

So lesson of the day, changing out a motherboard and CPU, do a fresh format of your HDD. :)

I've been looking on the internet for awhile now. I have a buddy who noticed I only have 4 cpu's in the task manager, I never put much thought into it since I figured I might of had hyperthreading disabled, but anyways.

I have the Core i7 2700k a Quad core cpu, should be 4 cores and 8 threads with hyperthreading enabled. So in task manager I should see 8 cpu graph's since each core is divided into 2. But I only see a total of 4. CPU-Z tells me I have 2 cores 4 threads... wtf? Bios says all cores are enabled and I have the choice of enable 1 2 3 or all cores in that list.

So what's the issue or is this normal and there is no issue, doesn't appear normal to me though.

Motherboard: AsRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
CPU: Intel Core i7 2700k 3.5Ghz

Xeno326

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
sorry forgot to add that info, yes updated bios to P2.30 from P1.30, there was no changes. In regards to the display of the cores in windows or cpu-z

-- disabled hyperthreading and I see all 4 cores like before, my CPU-Z see's 4 cores and 4 threads now, and my cpu thermal monitor shows 4 core temps instead of 2 and all 4 cores are showing activity in the task manager. So... I know the 4 cores in the CPU are working just based from this alone. Unusual that hyperthreading is not working the way it should... any ideas? going to enable hyperthreading again and see if that makes any difference, if it does I'll post an update otherwise if none just assume its still the same issue I had with it on before.

Xeno326

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
just to further update, if I choose 1 cpu, cpu-z and task manager see's 1 core - 2 threads.

We know 2 cores and 4 threads shows up regardless with hyperthreading on all 4 cores enabled, so I decided to try 3 cores, so it should show 3 cores 6 threads in cpu-z and the task tray, but still showed 2 cores 4 threads.

I'll try the prime 95 test with all 4 cores and hyperthreading enabled and see what that shows.

computernerdforlife

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Mine has always said 1 Physical processor, 4 Logical processors in my task manager even with msconfig/set to 4 physical cores. This crap blows me away. I did my bios update, same ***, different pile I guess...

System specs are in my member config.

Jay-Z

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
Very interesting, as I have had no problems with my 2600k. Let me know how the prime95 goes. Is this causing any problems other than a little number showing up. If not, I would not worry about it. Be assured, you definitely have 4 physical cores and a total of 8 virtual cores. They don't run away :)

Xeno326

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
ya. I did find an article here though with the same or similar issue - says its resolved with a format and reinstall of the OS. I'm going to do that next since this HDD and OS was running since I swapped out the mobo and cpu. What happens I guess is the OS retains the hardware cpu info from the old hardware and doesnt update properly to reflect the new changes, odd, but what else is new. Win7 64-bit btw, so will see how this goes I'll update fix if this resolves it.

http://communities.intel.com/thread/25862

Are you using a up to date CPU_Z, I have found CPUID is very strange, if not updated it tells me that I have a 8130P or 1605T which when updated reflects the proper CPU's, then again you say task manager is showing only 4 threads now that is strange. I hope the format solves it.

Xeno326

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Ok this is resolved - re-installing the OS fixed the issue. I see all 8 cpu's (physical and virtual) in task manager, Core Temp shows all 4 CPU's now with thermals and CPU-Z any version see's all 4 cores and 8 threads.

So lesson of the day, changing out a motherboard and CPU, do a fresh format of your HDD. :)