[SOLVED] [Solved]6500 to 6700k upgrade

B150 motherboard
RX470 4gb
16gb ram

I play final Fantasy online 14 and my fps had been quite low since the last expansion, hanging around 40.

I can get a 6700k for about 250-280$ CANADIAN... But I'm not quite convinced it's worth the money in the current market / in upcoming ryzen. I could even get 260 0 ryzen upgrade for about 350-400$

Can anyone chime in with some advice.

Solution
B150 motherboard
RX470 4gb
16gb ram

I play final Fantasy online 14 and my fps had been quite low since the last expansion, hanging around 40.

I can get a 6700k for about 250-280$ CANADIAN... But I'm not quite convinced it's worth the money in the current market / in upcoming ryzen. I could even get 260 0 ryzen upgrade for about 350-400$

You are right, is not worth the performance you will get for the price in gaming.
You will get better performance by upgrading your GPU.
RTX 2060 or RX 5600 XT
B150 motherboard
RX470 4gb
16gb ram

You are right, is not worth the performance you will get for the price in gaming.
You will get better performance by upgrading your GPU.
RTX 2060 or RX 5600 XT

Last edited:
Solution
Thanks guys, yeah I think the GPU upgrade would be more efficient as well. Looks like I'm in for another 4-6 month wait though because I find they are a bit too expensive on the Canadian market right now. By the time that I would get around to an i7 upgrade I think it would be a new platform anyway.

WildCard999

Titan
What is your CPU & GPU usage while gaming?

While the GPU upgrade could help I think a CPU/MB/RAM upgrade may be more beneficial for those lower FPS. I notice in the MMO I play, COH: Homecoming, the FPS dips are usually in large scale PVE events or cities where there's a ton of people gathered. At that point my CPU usage is quite high while the GPU usage isn't high but it is a old game from 2004.

What is your CPU & GPU usage while gaming?

While the GPU upgrade could help I think a CPU/MB/RAM upgrade may be more beneficial for those lower FPS. I notice in the MMO I play, COH: Homecoming, the FPS dips are usually in large scale PVE events or cities where there's a ton of people gathered. At that point my CPU usage is quite high while the GPU usage isn't high but it is a old game from 2004.

Yeah I got a GPU bottleneck

GPU 100%
CPU 80%

I just wanted to plan to upgrade cpu first while everyone is upgrading their gen6/7 but it's really not worth the money from what I suspected (which I got supportive advice on). As per GPU in waiting a little for the price to settle for the recent AMD card (I have a Freesync monitor)