Question [Solved] Asus Swift PG278QR monitor: Question about it's AC Adapter compatibility.

May 12, 2022
I have an Asus Swift PG278QR monitor.
It uses a 19v / 4.74a AC adapter, and I need to test it.
Could a laptop AC adapter serve this purpose?

If so, I need to check if this power adapter is ok:
I have a 19v / 7a laptop AC adapter laying around in good state. Is it safe to use it for the test?
Thank you very much.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Happy New Year!

It uses a 19v / 4.74a AC adapter.
I have a 19v / 7a laptop AC adapter laying around in good state.

Just because a peg fits or seems to fit into a hole, doesn't mean that it should go into said hole in the ground.

My advice, source an adapter meant for the panel and leave the laptop adapter to do it's job with the laptop.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
May 12, 2022
Happy New Year!

It uses a 19v / 4.74a AC adapter.
I have a 19v / 7a laptop AC adapter laying around in good state.

Just because a peg fits or seems to fit into a hole, doesn't mean that it should go into said hole in the ground.

My advice, source an adapter meant for the panel and leave the laptop adapter to do it's job with the laptop.

Thanks for answering. Appreciate your advice.

Yes, it's the same polarity. Negative outside the plug, positive inside.
Safe is getting the correct power adapter. Anything else is at your own risk.

If it has the correct voltage, the polarity is correct and the amperage is at least the same then it should work. I have used power adapters from one device to power another device following these rules without issue. I don't see any reason it won't work but if you want to take the chance then its on you.

May 12, 2022
Safe is getting the correct power adapter. Anything else is at your own risk.

If it has the correct voltage, the polarity is correct and the amperage is at least the same then it should work. I have used power adapters from one device to power another device following these rules without issue. I don't see any reason it won't work but if you want to take the chance then its on you.

Yes, the polarity is the same, and so is the voltage, but the amperes is more in the laptop's ac adapter, but I think it doesn't matter since more is better in this case. Isn't?

Dc power is pretty simple but the majority of people have no clue what voltage or amps are and when you start talking about things like polarity their eyes glass over. So it is always best for people that have no clue to recommend they do not mix and match power supplies.

Having too much amp on the power supply does not really matter since the device will only use what it needs.

I lost a very unusual power supply for a monitor and it was going take many months to get a replacement. I took a power supply I had laying around that you could adjust the voltages and did some surgery on the cables to make it fit the monitor. Not something you recommend but if you have a mutimeter to be sure you get things correct it mostly just looks bad. I was tempted to leave it but I ended up spending the $100 for the correct part that took over 6 month to get back in stock.

May 12, 2022
I did the test with the AC Adapter. There were no problems. I was able to check that my Monitor's transformer is indeed fine.
All this has been to test my Monitor that has been presenting a problem for days.
I am going to close this post about the AC Adapter, and open a new post regarding the problem of the Monitor, to find out what you think about it and if you can help me.
Thanks a lot.