Question [SOLVED] BIOS shows incorrect CPU and RAM speed/voltage, freezes on boot

z-rabbit

Distinguished
May 6, 2012
In the middle of an overhaul, and I'm hitting a serious wall here.

My mobo (Aorus z390 pro) shows my RAM set at a default DDR4-2133 MHz and 1.2V, but it's rated at DDR4-3000 and 1.35V. Also, my CPU hasn't been overclocked yet, but it shows on the summary screen as running at 4.6 Ghz (default is 3.6).

However, when I manually change the settings to their default values (via enabling XMP), BIOS faults out:

Here's a pic of the summary screen. (NOTE: only 1 stick of RAM was installed for this portion, as I was trying to troubleshoot)

Here's my parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DRvkhy

Also worth mentioning is that I can't do anything after POST. Trying to run the windows install utility from USB or CD drive, it just starts to play the loading animation and freezes after about 5 seconds. But I'm working under the assumption that this is just a symptom of whatever this BIOS issue is.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

z-rabbit

Distinguished
May 6, 2012
The power supply is about 6 or 7 years old? But it's been rock solid, I highly doubt that's the issue.

I have tried a CMOS reset, to no avail.

However, I just now went to the Gigabyte website and checked on their latest BIOS updates. It turns out the F8 version is about 2 versions old. And the F9 version lists "Support of future 9th Generation Intel® Core™ processors" (which is what I have)...sooooo, I guess I'll try flashing the BIOS first, once I get back home. I just assumed the BIOS would be ready to go, silly me.

I'll be sure to update with my findings.

z-rabbit

Distinguished
May 6, 2012
While that may be true, I don't think that's causing my current issue. I'm trying to focus on first getting my bios to function properly.

ConanLock

Prominent
May 22, 2019
The RAM is at 2133 as you have X.M.P disabled. This must be enabled for the RAM to run as advertised. As for the CPU support, yes you are probably correct... One version of the 9700k worked on F5, but the other needs F9.

Last edited:
Reactions: z-rabbit

z-rabbit

Distinguished
May 6, 2012
UPDATE: yup, just needed to update the BIOS, everything's been running buttery smooth since then. Also Conan, you were absolutely right, I didn't know about that little xmp thing affecting memory. It's now humming along at 3000 as advertised.

Thanks!

Reactions: ConanLock

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS