[SOLVED] Blu-ray Player on laptop wont play Blu-ray movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello all,

I have often used this site when looking at things such as overclocking but now I am in need of help. I have a Sony VPCF126FM/B laptop and it came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit and all the Sony bloatware of course so I decided to use my free copy of Windows 7 Professional 64bit I got from taking computer courses at a local college. After I did the upgrade my laptop wont play Blu-ray movies but the drive will detect them along with playing regular DVD's and installing games from disc's (yes I know. who uses discs anymore lol). I had contacted Sony about this and they did there whole sales pitch and 45min later they finally told me they want $300 to fix it, I simply put "lol you just lost one of few people who pay for your blu-ray products" and they tried to sucker me back in and got it down to $189.95 and I laughed again. I am hoping that you aka the community can help me and I will give any information needed (within reason) so that I can play my movies I actually bought.

Thank you,
Taylor Sand

G

My bad lol. I forgot to mention I have a full version copy of PowerDVD 11 and its the same thing, the program recognizes it is there but it wont play it. It will say gathering info and then just sit at a black screen.

G

Still nothing :/ I closed everything that was not needed and nothing shows up still. Sony is laughing right now thinking haha he will be back but they don't know I would buy a new laptop before paying about $200 to fix a Blu-ray player :p

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Changing from Home Prem to Professional should have done nothing to cause the problem. Did you perform a clean install or an upgrade?

One thing to try would be to completely uninstall PowerDVD 11 and then re-install it. Have you tried that?

G

Yeah I did a complete clean install of windows and I have uninstalled and reinstalled PowerDVD several times now. I thought it was the program but nothing else seems to play it either :/

G

Yeah, I installed the ones from the sony support page for my laptop and still got nothing. They sony person wouldn't tell me what I need, only that they would fix it for me and give me free maintenance sessions for a year.

Not sure, but it almost looks like powerDVD is detecting a violation of that BLANKY-BLANK BD copy protection. Might get better help from cyberlink.

Have you tryed installing the BD software that was provided, WinDVD ? Under Downloads, system components, WinDVD.

I use both PowerDVD and total theathre for Blueray. I did what you did, used a copy of windows 7 Upgrade disk to do a clean install to a SSD for my Samsung SB notebook. Had no problem with playing Blu-ray. Will have to check to see if I used the provided software or my own copy of PowerDVD.

PS - Concur on SONY products - I NEVER buy LOL

G

Well I'll be damned lol. Got a copy of Corel WinDVD Pro 11 and it started right up. I don't know why PowerDVD wouldn't play it but thanks to you and the others for the support Sony Support just lost a customer. Thank you very much :)

Status
Not open for further replies.