Question [SOLVED] Boot M.2 not recognized after new drive install

Dec 21, 2023
So I just bought a new Samsung 990 Pro 2TB to use alongside my original 980 Pro 1TB (boot drive). I’m rocking the ROG Strix Z-590E with an i9 11900k and a 3070 Ti (Built in early 2022). I put the new 990 Pro in the slot where the old boot drive went and the boot drive into the slot between the PCI-E lanes, which ASUS says has the same properties as the top slot. When I booted it up, it posted and I entered the BIOS. I was heartbroken to see that the only drive recognized in storage was the new 990 pro. Can anyone help me with steps to take to fix this?

Solution
The motherboard manual says that the M.2_2 doesn't work if you have PCIEX 16_1 running at x16 which I'm assuming you do because you likely have your video card in it.

M.2_3 doesn't seem to be shared with anything, but will only work in PCIe 3.0 mode because it's off of the chipset.

In case you want to know why: It's a stupid trend motherboard makers started around this generation of CPU to split CPU lanes off to get more "high speed" M.2 SSD support. Of course that means carving up your primary slot lanes to get it.
D

Deleted member 2962262

Edit: see thestryker comment below (and table re PCIe bifurcation & M.2 settings in PCIe x16 slots (from CPU) p 1-8 of your user manual.)

1. Reset the CMOS (look up and follow appropriate procedures for your board).
2. Make sure the old drive is correctly seated in the new slot.
Power down, disconnect power, take required precautions re ESD etc:
you'll probably need to remove a securing screw; gently but firmly push the drive towards the insertion point, you will feel a little click if it wasn´t all the way in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Itsashame
The motherboard manual says that the M.2_2 doesn't work if you have PCIEX 16_1 running at x16 which I'm assuming you do because you likely have your video card in it.

M.2_3 doesn't seem to be shared with anything, but will only work in PCIe 3.0 mode because it's off of the chipset.

In case you want to know why: It's a stupid trend motherboard makers started around this generation of CPU to split CPU lanes off to get more "high speed" M.2 SSD support. Of course that means carving up your primary slot lanes to get it.

Solution
Dec 21, 2023

Thank you so much, I must come across as an idiot for not reading something in the manual 😂. I will switch the second drive to the third lane and test it again tomorrow. I glossed over the PCI-E limiter in the manual cuz all I saw was that it was the only other gen-4 channel. Disappointing that I won’t be able to use the full capacity and speed of what I paid for, but it will become a secondary drive to the 2TB anyway. Thanks again for your help! Happy holidays!

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2023

Thank you! I told thestryker that I’m kind of upset I won’t get to use the “blazing fast gen 4 speed” I paid for with the 980 Pro, but it will take backseat to the new one anyway no matter what channels they are in. Thanks so much for your reply and help man! Happy holidays!

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
Edit: see thestryker comment below (and table re PCIe bifurcation & M.2 settings in PCIe x16 slots (from CPU) p 1-8 of your user manual.)

1. Reset the CMOS (look up and follow appropriate procedures for your board).
2. Make sure the old drive is correctly seated in the new slot.
Power down, disconnect power, take required precautions re ESD etc:
you'll probably need to remove a securing screw; gently but firmly push the drive towards the insertion point, you will feel a little click if it wasn´t all the way in.
Where is the ground to discharge ESD if you unplug the PC there is no longer a path to ground?

Thank you so much, I must come across as an idiot for not reading something in the manual 😂.
Honestly it's not the first place most people would go when just installing a second drive. If I hadn't already run into these issues in the past it wouldn't have been the first place I went to either.
Disappointing that I won’t be able to use the full capacity and speed of what I paid for, but it will become a secondary drive to the 2TB anyway.
It's unlikely to be a big deal, and if you really wanted the extra bandwidth you could probably run the video card at x8 without losing any performance. It's something you'd want to remember about should you upgrade to a faster video card down the road though.
Thanks again for your help! Happy holidays!
No problem, and you as well!

Reactions: Itsashame