[SOLVED] [Solved] Brand New SSD not detected by BIOS or OS

ccskk

Reputable
Feb 6, 2017
Trying to install brand new ssd to computer. It is not going to be the bootable drive. I already have two working drives. It is a crucial BX500 960gb.
Plugging it in, it is not detected by the operating system at all in windows device manager or disk management. I then checked if it was even detected in the bios, and it's not.
Been googling and trying everything.

1. I have tried different SATA cables and different power cables. Confirmed that these cables (as well as mobo ports) worked with other drive.
  2. Checked everything is the bios to see if there was a way to 'enable' it. Its not detected at all, only the two existing drives are. No option to enable.
  3. I took it back to the store thinking it was faulty since nothing else worked. They tested it and said it worked on their system. They then initialized it for me on their system. Took it home, still not working.
Both the ssd and the sata ports on the mobo are 6.0mb/s
I'm not sure what else to do, I don't think I've done anything incorrectly. They will not give me a replacement because it worked on their system.

Last edited:
Solution
Tried a different SATA port on the motherboard?
Often, one or more SATA ports is disabled when using something in an M.2 port.

ccskk

Reputable
Feb 6, 2017
Tried a different SATA port on the motherboard?
Often, one or more SATA ports is disabled when using something in an M.2 port.
My motherboard has 3 Sata ports (aside from the M.2) And I tried 2 of the Sata ports, but I didn't try the one that the Seagate is plugged into because that won't be very useful as I need that plugged in regardless. I used to have an optical drive plugged into one of the other ports and that worked fine and was recognized in the bios etc (unplugged it to put all of its cables and port into the new SSD)

ccskk

Reputable
Feb 6, 2017
Solved: You were correct in that one of the sata ports had been disabled by the M.2 after referring to my mobo manual
I managed to find a 4th hidden one that was empty and tried that port and it worked. However it will remain a mystery as to why the 2nd port which had worked with the optical drive was not working and there was no indication to it disabling 2 ports and if it was the the optical drive wouldn't have worked.