[SOLVED] [SOLVED] BSOD, mouse + keyboard lag, system completely freezing on new AMD Ryzen 5 build

Apr 11, 2020
Hi all

I've recently upgraded my PC with a new mobo, GPU, CPU and RAM, put it all together during which I found out that one of the RAM sticks was causing the PC not to boot, but finally got it booted, slapped on a new copy of windows 10, installed all the required drivers from the official manufacturers websites and there are a host of different problems, which is making me lean towards a bad MOBO but am hoping you would be able to help pin down what exactly is causing the issues before I start looking into what I need to return and replace.

My system specs are as follows:

Ryzen 5 3600
MSI Tomahawk B450 Max
1 x 4GB DDR4 RAM (Should be 8, but one of the sticks I got is faulty, in the process of replacing)
MSI RX 580 Armour GPU
EVGA 80+ 500W PSU
120GB SSD - windows installed on here
1 TD HDD

The problems I have come across so far are:

Multiple BSODs citing CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT
Mouse pointer stuttering, freezing or sensitivity constantly changing
Keyboard input lag
GPU seemingly failing and recovering (screen went black, monitor turned off, then came back again)
System completely freezing requiring a hard reset (holding power button down until it turns off)

Not sure if the above is enough to convince you the MOBO is faulty, or you need the crash logs - happy to supply them if need be!

Many thanks for your help in advance!

Solution
Looks like managed to solve the issue - it was the version of Windows 10. I was using an old install USB I had which had a very early version of windows 10 which seems to not play well at ALL with Ryzen 5 CPUs.

Easy solution was to go to the MS website, use the media creation tool to create a bootable USB with the latest version of windows and that seems to have worked. No more blue screens of freezing for the last few hours!
Apr 11, 2020
Looks like managed to solve the issue - it was the version of Windows 10. I was using an old install USB I had which had a very early version of windows 10 which seems to not play well at ALL with Ryzen 5 CPUs.

Easy solution was to go to the MS website, use the media creation tool to create a bootable USB with the latest version of windows and that seems to have worked. No more blue screens of freezing for the last few hours!

Solution