[SOLVED] Can't update BIOS on ECS Z77H2-AX (BIOS ver. 8.0.2.1410)

ximinezx

Prominent
Apr 24, 2017
I want to update BIOS for my motherboard - ECS Z77H2-AX.

The manual says to either short an ME_UNLOCK header (which the manual itself says isn't on the board - I checked there's no ME_UNLOCK header) or disable "Firmware Write Protect" (sic!) in BIOS. There is no option like that.

When I run the update app, it says "Update fail. Please short ME_UNLOCK header" (sic!). I contacted support, and after the obligatory exchange of "have you tried shorting the ME_UNLOCK header?" and "have you disabled write protect in BIOS?" they just told me to go to a service center. Any ideas? My current bios version is 8.0.2.1410.

Pentium4User

Honorable
Jun 17, 2016
When I go to ECS website it says this If your BIOS ME version is lower than 8.1.X.X. Please find the CPU EVO [the link given] to update your BIOS first. After updating this BIOS, you only can flash newer versions afterward.
Please DO NOT flash back older version BIOS, it will cause your system to crash.
idk if you did this one or the one on the driver page and may I ask why are you updating the bios because if it nothing important then I would just leave it.

ximinezx

Prominent
Apr 24, 2017
I followed the instructions on their website to the tee. I followed the link, downloaded the update, but couldn't apply it because it said the ME_UNLOCK header is not shorted. Again, there is no ME_UNLOCK header on my motherboard and no corresponding option in the BIOS.

I need to update for two reasons:
1. I want to upgrade to Windows 10 and the current BIOS version doesn't support it (only goes up to Windows 7)
2. I have recently upgraded from GTX480 to GTX770. With the new card, it takes around a minute for the BIOS splash screen to go away. Seems the card is too new for the BIOS and I'm hoping a BIOS upgrade will take care of it.

I have two options now - either make my peace with being unable to use Windows 10 and waiting 60 seconds for the splash screen to go away every time I boot up OR put the Z77H2-AX in the trash, where it belongs, and get a proper brand. Unless, that is, someone comes up with a solution to this seemingly impossible conundrum. Thoughts?

Pentium4User

Honorable
Jun 17, 2016

honestly you better of just getting another board it not worth playing around with it if there no jumper to update the bios. and it shame how ecs just became trash now. I would recommend brands like asrock or msi.

ximinezx

Prominent
Apr 24, 2017
After a long time and contacting a different branch of ECS tech support (USA instead of Asia), I finally got the answer - turns out there is an ME_UNLOCK header, but it's not designated as such on the board and described in the manual as "Case open header". If you encounter a similar problem, look for that in the manual and then short it before trying to flash BIOS. I'm attaching a picture I got from tech support for reference: http://imgur.com/a/dTjDF

Foolishpuppy

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012

This is exactly what I'm looking for. The issue is how do you go about shorting it?

ximinezx

Prominent
Apr 24, 2017
Or, if you're feeling adventurous, you can just short it with a screwdriver or a piece of aluminum foil. I do not recommend it, however, since updating BIOS is a delicate process and if the circuit is broken during flashing, you might brick your mobo.

Mar 5, 2019
Hi. I had been looking for the ansewer to for this problem for a long, long, long and very long time. I´m from Peru so you can imagine how hard it could be to get tech support from ECS here. Thanks a lot! I´m just about to go get the jumper!