[SOLVED] [SOLVED] Cloning ssd without cloning windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

sesadoc58

Reputable
Sep 16, 2018
So I used a software to clone my ssd as I wanted to upgrade it to one with larger storage. It copied all my stuff, and when I put the new ssd, I got the "winload.efi missing" error. So I got my win 10 media usb to fix it with cmd but all the commands I tried would not fix it. I then did the "dir" command and found all the drives (C:/ E:/ D:/ X:/) I checked all of them to see what space they had and none of them had the size of my new ssd (1tb). After that, I got tired and just installed a fresh copy of windows 10. Now my problem is: how do I clone all of the stuff I had on my previous ssd WITHOUT cloning the windows 10 installed on it? I basically need to clone everything on the old ssd but the os. Any help?

sesadoc58

Reputable
Sep 16, 2018
I actually managed to fix it. I downloaded minitool partition wizard and used the disk clone function selecting the "copy partition without resizing" option. Then I started the process cloning the old ssd content to the new one. The pc restarted and gave me a bsod, to which it restarted two times. After that it went into repair mode and asked me to boot from one of the two Windows installations (old ssd and new ssd) I booted it from the old ssd and a screen popped up which is the minitool partition wizard screen telling the progress of the cloning. After it was done, it booted into win 10 with all my stuff. I went into explorer and noticed that it showed my new ssd had only 100gb space. I went into minitool partition wizard again, selected the extend function and extended the win 10 partition to the unallocated space on the ssd. After that, it showed I had 1tb space.

Status
Not open for further replies.